GeoServer stops/loses tile processing tasks when processing GeoTIFF files larger than 100 GB

Hi,
I am using GeoServer to process/tile large GeoTIFF raster files.

I have a strange behavior:

  • GeoTIFF files smaller than 100 GB → processing completes successfully.
  • GeoTIFF files larger than 100 GB → during processing, several tile processing tasks/threads stop or disappear and the process does not complete normally.

The behavior seems strongly correlated with the input file size.

I would like to understand whether there is any known limitation or configuration related to:

  • GeoServer / GeoTools raster processing
  • ImageMosaic
  • GeoTIFF reader
  • JVM heap/off-heap memory
  • Tile threads / TileScheduler
  • temporary storage
  • file descriptors
  • maximum raster size

Could someone point me to the relevant logs/configuration or explain what could cause tile processing tasks to stop specifically with very large GeoTIFF files?

Environment:

  • GeoServer version: X
  • Java version: X
  • JVM heap: X GB
  • OS: Ubuntu X
  • GeoTIFF size: X GB
  • Number of tiles: X
  • Tile size: X × X
  • Storage/filesystem: X

I can provide GeoServer logs and JVM configuration if needed.

There is no known limitation regarding size specifically, but there are issues if there are too many tiles, making for a very large header, which can happen due to a combination of large file and small tiles.
In your case, I would have a look at this documentation page:

Cheers
Andrea