[Marketing] Event Owner for FOSS4G

As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was trying to line up someone to help be the event owner for FOSS4G - to help organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the booth, etc. Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event only has limited amount of time to commit, or cannot help organise before the event.

So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at previous events and who might be more likely to attend if they had a free conference pass and a small budget to offset some of their costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I spoke to. Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be critical to have someone who can do the planning and delivery of the event, but still have some support from me when needed. Some of my own travel budget could be used to help cover some of the costs but ultimately it would be general marketing costs for OSGeo. [1]

This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make sure we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator available. Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right, but unless there is one person to go to, the whole effort can fall apart. Ideally there'd be two people, but I won't push it this year :wink:

I would like to propose a budget of $3500 to cover our presence there:

* $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover, etc. With new branding where possible.
* $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip rentals, etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning...
* $1500 - costs for staffing, travel and food costs, etc.
* $500 - miscellaneous - some buffer room for unexpected items.

Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would easily spend that in my own staff time, travel costs and merchandise, etc. if I was going.
Sound reasonable?

Tyler

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2008

Tyler,
I'd like to strongly recommend Tim Bowden for the OSGeo Booth coordinator role.

He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS conference in Western Australia last year and he is an entertaining and passionate OSGeo salesman.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense). But with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.

Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South Africa, so flights should be less than for others, and a few beer boxes are sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).

And most importantly from my point of view, we would really like to have someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on the stand, so that we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the man for the job.

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was trying to line up someone to help be the event owner for FOSS4G - to help organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the booth, etc. Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event only has limited amount of time to commit, or cannot help organise before the event.

So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at previous events and who might be more likely to attend if they had a free conference pass and a small budget to offset some of their costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I spoke to. Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be critical to have someone who can do the planning and delivery of the event, but still have some support from me when needed. Some of my own travel budget could be used to help cover some of the costs but ultimately it would be general marketing costs for OSGeo. [1]

This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make sure we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator available. Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right, but unless there is one person to go to, the whole effort can fall apart. Ideally there'd be two people, but I won't push it this year :wink:

* $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover, etc. With new branding where possible.
* $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip rentals, etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning...

Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would easily spend that in my own staff time, travel costs and merchandise, etc. if I was going.
Sound reasonable?

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,

Tim,
what do you say?

If you are interested I will talk to OSGeo Finance and see whether we can bend Tyler's travel costs to your name and make you the official OSGeo Event Owner for FOSS4G 2008. This would mean that you are sort of hired by OSGeo to represent, man and manage the booth. I say "sort of hired" because I think OSGeo never did this before so we are creating a precedence here. But I think it is a good one as we are running short on staff everywhere and volunteers are cool but they are even better if you can pay them - at least a bit.

But before I continue down that road please confirm whether you are actually available and would be willing to do what Cameron suggested.

Best regards, Arnulf.

He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS conference in Western Australia last year and he is an entertaining and passionate OSGeo salesman.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense). But with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.

Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South Africa, so flights should be less than for others, and a few beer boxes are sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).

And most importantly from my point of view, we would really like to have someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on the stand, so that we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the man for the job.

Sound reasonable?

Tyler

Arnulf,

I'm willing and able, but obviously a decision would be need to be made
very soon. Just for the record, I've responded off list to Tyler, Frank
and Cameron S. with a few personal concerns I have, but otherwise no
problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:41 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Tyler,
> I'd like to strongly recommend Tim Bowden for the OSGeo Booth
> coordinator role.

Tim,
what do you say?

If you are interested I will talk to OSGeo Finance and see whether we
can bend Tyler's travel costs to your name and make you the official
OSGeo Event Owner for FOSS4G 2008. This would mean that you are sort
of hired by OSGeo to represent, man and manage the booth. I say "sort
of hired" because I think OSGeo never did this before so we are
creating a precedence here. But I think it is a good one as we are
running short on staff everywhere and volunteers are cool but they are
even better if you can pay them - at least a bit.

But before I continue down that road please confirm whether you are
actually available and would be willing to do what Cameron suggested.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS
> conference in Western Australia last year and he is an entertaining and
> passionate OSGeo salesman.
>
> Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for
> FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense). But
> with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.
>
> Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South Africa,
> so flights should be less than for others, and a few beer boxes are
> sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).
>
> And most importantly from my point of view, we would really like to have
> someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on the stand, so that
> we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the man for the job.
>
>
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>> As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was trying to
>> line up someone to help be the event owner for FOSS4G - to help
>> organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the booth, etc.
>> Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event only has limited
>> amount of time to commit, or cannot help organise before the event.
>>
>> So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at
>> previous events and who might be more likely to attend if they had a
>> free conference pass and a small budget to offset some of their
>> costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I spoke to.
>> Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be critical to
>> have someone who can do the planning and delivery of the event, but
>> still have some support from me when needed. Some of my own travel
>> budget could be used to help cover some of the costs but ultimately it
>> would be general marketing costs for OSGeo. [1]
>>
>> This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make sure
>> we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator available.
>> Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right, but unless there
>> is one person to go to, the whole effort can fall apart. Ideally
>> there'd be two people, but I won't push it this year :wink:
>>
>> I would like to propose a budget of $3500 to cover our presence there:
>>
>> * $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover, etc.
>> With new branding where possible.
>> * $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip rentals,
>> etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning...
>> * $1500 - costs for staffing, travel and food costs, etc.
>> * $500 - miscellaneous - some buffer room for unexpected items.
>>
>> Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would easily spend that
>> in my own staff time, travel costs and merchandise, etc. if I was going.
>> Sound reasonable?
>>
>> Tyler
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2008
>> _______________________________________________
>> Marketing mailing list
>> Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>
>

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Ok, lets get the ball rolling.

Following on from on and off list emails:

I propose that $3K US is set aside to cover costs of sending Tim Bowden to FOSS4G 2008 where Tim will coordinate the running of the OSGeo Booth.

As a bonus, Tim will look for potential sponsors for FOSS4G2009 and talk up FOSS4G2009 to potential delegates. (Another marketing activity).

+1

Tim Bowden wrote:

Arnulf,

problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,

Tim,
what do you say?

Best regards, Arnulf.

Sound reasonable?

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter

Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
http://www.lisasoft.com

+1

On 8-Sep-08, at 3:28 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

I propose that $3K US is set aside to cover costs of sending Tim Bowden to FOSS4G 2008 where Tim will coordinate the running of the OSGeo Booth.

As a bonus, Tim will look for potential sponsors for FOSS4G2009 and talk up FOSS4G2009 to potential delegates. (Another marketing activity).

+1

Tim Bowden wrote:

Arnulf,

problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,

Tim,
what do you say?
Best regards, Arnulf.

Sound reasonable?

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
tmitchell@osgeo.org
P: +1-250-277-1621
M: +1-250-303-1831

+1

We also have broad backing from the board so that even although the
process of this vote is somewhat unorthodox I suggest we just carry on and
try to get maybe two or three more votes from this committee until we
declare the motion as passed. This should happen at the latest tomorrow at
the Marketing Committee IRC meeting.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

On Tue, September 9, 2008 00:28, Cameron Shorter wrote:

I propose that $3K US is set aside to cover costs of sending Tim Bowden
to FOSS4G 2008 where Tim will coordinate the running of the OSGeo Booth.

As a bonus, Tim will look for potential sponsors for FOSS4G2009 and talk
up FOSS4G2009 to potential delegates. (Another marketing activity).

+1

Tim Bowden wrote:

Arnulf,

very soon. Just for the record, I've responded off list to Tyler,
Frank
problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,
I'd like to strongly recommend Tim Bowden for the OSGeo Booth
coordinator role.

Tim,
what do you say?

of hired by OSGeo to represent, man and manage the booth. I say
"sort
running short on staff everywhere and volunteers are cool but they
are even better if you can pay them - at least a bit.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS
conference in Western Australia last year and he is an entertaining
and passionate OSGeo salesman.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for
FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense).
But
with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.

Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South
Africa,
so flights should be less than for others, and a few beer boxes are
sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).

And most importantly from my point of view, we would really like to
have someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on the stand,
so that we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the man for the
job.

As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was
trying to line up someone to help be the event owner for FOSS4G -
to help organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the
booth, etc. Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event
only has limited amount of time to commit, or cannot help organise
before the event.

So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at
previous events and who might be more likely to attend if they had
a free conference pass and a small budget to offset some of their
costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I spoke to.
Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be
critical to have someone who can do the planning and delivery of
the event, but still have some support from me when needed. Some
of my own travel budget could be used to help cover some of the
costs but ultimately it would be general marketing costs for
OSGeo. [1]

This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make
sure we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator
available. Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right,
but unless there is one person to go to, the whole effort can fall
apart. Ideally there'd be two people, but I won't push it this
year :wink:

I would like to propose a budget of $3500 to cover our presence
there:

* $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover,
etc. With new branding where possible.
* $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip
rentals, etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning... *
$1500 - costs for staffing, travel and food costs, etc.

Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would easily spend
that in my own staff time, travel costs and merchandise, etc. if I
was going. Sound reasonable?

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

+1

-mpg

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Arnulf Christl
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:26 AM
To: OSGeo Marketing
Subject: Re: [Marketing] Event Owner for FOSS4G - please vote

+1

process of this vote is somewhat unorthodox I suggest we just
carry on and
declare the motion as passed. This should happen at the
latest tomorrow at

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> Ok, lets get the ball rolling.
>
>
> Following on from on and off list emails:
>
>
> I propose that $3K US is set aside to cover costs of
sending Tim Bowden
> to FOSS4G 2008 where Tim will coordinate the running of the
OSGeo Booth.
>
> As a bonus, Tim will look for potential sponsors for
FOSS4G2009 and talk
> up FOSS4G2009 to potential delegates. (Another marketing activity).
>
> +1
>
>
> Tim Bowden wrote:
>
>> Arnulf,
>>
>>
>> I'm willing and able, but obviously a decision would be
need to be made
>> very soon. Just for the record, I've responded off list to Tyler,
>> Frank
>> and Cameron S. with a few personal concerns I have, but
otherwise no
>> problems from my side.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim Bowden
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:41 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Tyler,
>>>> I'd like to strongly recommend Tim Bowden for the OSGeo Booth
>>>> coordinator role.
>>>>
>>> Tim,
>>> what do you say?
>>>
>>> If you are interested I will talk to OSGeo Finance and
see whether we
>>> can bend Tyler's travel costs to your name and make you
the official
>>> OSGeo Event Owner for FOSS4G 2008. This would mean that
you are sort
>>> of hired by OSGeo to represent, man and manage the booth. I say
>>> "sort
>>> of hired" because I think OSGeo never did this before so we are
>>> creating a precedence here. But I think it is a good one as we are
>>> running short on staff everywhere and volunteers are cool but they
>>> are even better if you can pay them - at least a bit.
>>>
>>> But before I continue down that road please confirm
whether you are
>>> actually available and would be willing to do what
Cameron suggested.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Arnulf.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS
>>>> conference in Western Australia last year and he is an
entertaining
>>>> and passionate OSGeo salesman.
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for
>>>> FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense).
>>>> But
>>>> with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.
>>>>
>>>> Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South
>>>> Africa,
>>>> so flights should be less than for others, and a few
beer boxes are
>>>> sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).
>>>>
>>>> And most importantly from my point of view, we would
really like to
>>>> have someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on
the stand,
>>>> so that we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the
man for the
>>>> job.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was
>>>>> trying to line up someone to help be the event owner
for FOSS4G -
>>>>> to help organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the
>>>>> booth, etc. Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event
>>>>> only has limited amount of time to commit, or cannot
help organise
>>>>> before the event.
>>>>>
>>>>> So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at
>>>>> previous events and who might be more likely to attend
if they had
>>>>> a free conference pass and a small budget to offset
some of their
>>>>> costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I
spoke to.
>>>>> Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be
>>>>> critical to have someone who can do the planning and delivery of
>>>>> the event, but still have some support from me when
needed. Some
>>>>> of my own travel budget could be used to help cover some of the
>>>>> costs but ultimately it would be general marketing costs for
>>>>> OSGeo. [1]
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make
>>>>> sure we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator
>>>>> available. Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right,
>>>>> but unless there is one person to go to, the whole
effort can fall
>>>>> apart. Ideally there'd be two people, but I won't push it this
>>>>> year :wink:
>>>>>
>>>>> I would like to propose a budget of $3500 to cover our presence
>>>>> there:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> * $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover,
>>>>> etc. With new branding where possible.
>>>>> * $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip
>>>>> rentals, etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning... *
>>>>> $1500 - costs for staffing, travel and food costs, etc.
>>>>> * $500 - miscellaneous - some buffer room for unexpected items.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would
easily spend
>>>>> that in my own staff time, travel costs and
merchandise, etc. if I
>>>>> was going. Sound reasonable?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Tyler
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2008
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Marketing mailing list
>>>>> Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
>>>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
> http://www.lisasoft.com
>
>
>

--
Arnulf Christl

+1
Nathalie Mainland
Autodesk

From: marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org [mailto:marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Michael P. Gerlek
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:55 AM
To: arnulf.christl@wheregroup.com; OSGeo Marketing
Subject: RE: [Marketing] Event Owner for FOSS4G - please vote

+1

-mpg

[mailto:marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Arnulf Christl
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:26 AM
To: OSGeo Marketing

+1

process of this vote is somewhat unorthodox I suggest we just
carry on and
declare the motion as passed. This should happen at the
latest tomorrow at

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> Ok, lets get the ball rolling.
>
>
> Following on from on and off list emails:
>
>
> I propose that $3K US is set aside to cover costs of
sending Tim Bowden
> to FOSS4G 2008 where Tim will coordinate the running of the
OSGeo Booth.
>
> As a bonus, Tim will look for potential sponsors for
FOSS4G2009 and talk
> up FOSS4G2009 to potential delegates. (Another marketing activity).
>
> +1
>
>
> Tim Bowden wrote:
>
>> Arnulf,
>>
>>
>> I'm willing and able, but obviously a decision would be
need to be made
>> very soon. Just for the record, I've responded off list to Tyler,
>> Frank
>> and Cameron S. with a few personal concerns I have, but
otherwise no
>> problems from my side.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim Bowden
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:41 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Tyler,
>>>> I'd like to strongly recommend Tim Bowden for the OSGeo Booth
>>>> coordinator role.
>>>>
>>> Tim,
>>> what do you say?
>>>
>>> If you are interested I will talk to OSGeo Finance and
see whether we
>>> can bend Tyler's travel costs to your name and make you
the official
>>> OSGeo Event Owner for FOSS4G 2008. This would mean that
you are sort
>>> of hired by OSGeo to represent, man and manage the booth. I say
>>> "sort
>>> of hired" because I think OSGeo never did this before so we are
>>> creating a precedence here. But I think it is a good one as we are
>>> running short on staff everywhere and volunteers are cool but they
>>> are even better if you can pay them - at least a bit.
>>>
>>> But before I continue down that road please confirm
whether you are
>>> actually available and would be willing to do what
Cameron suggested.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Arnulf.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS
>>>> conference in Western Australia last year and he is an
entertaining
>>>> and passionate OSGeo salesman.
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for
>>>> FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense).
>>>> But
>>>> with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.
>>>>
>>>> Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South
>>>> Africa,
>>>> so flights should be less than for others, and a few
beer boxes are
>>>> sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).
>>>>
>>>> And most importantly from my point of view, we would
really like to
>>>> have someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on
the stand,
>>>> so that we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the
man for the
>>>> job.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was
>>>>> trying to line up someone to help be the event owner
for FOSS4G -
>>>>> to help organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the
>>>>> booth, etc. Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event
>>>>> only has limited amount of time to commit, or cannot
help organise
>>>>> before the event.
>>>>>
>>>>> So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at
>>>>> previous events and who might be more likely to attend
if they had
>>>>> a free conference pass and a small budget to offset
some of their
>>>>> costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I
spoke to.
>>>>> Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be
>>>>> critical to have someone who can do the planning and delivery of
>>>>> the event, but still have some support from me when
needed. Some
>>>>> of my own travel budget could be used to help cover some of the
>>>>> costs but ultimately it would be general marketing costs for
>>>>> OSGeo. [1]
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make
>>>>> sure we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator
>>>>> available. Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right,
>>>>> but unless there is one person to go to, the whole
effort can fall
>>>>> apart. Ideally there'd be two people, but I won't push it this
>>>>> year :wink:
>>>>>
>>>>> I would like to propose a budget of $3500 to cover our presence
>>>>> there:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> * $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover,
>>>>> etc. With new branding where possible.
>>>>> * $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip
>>>>> rentals, etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning... *
>>>>> $1500 - costs for staffing, travel and food costs, etc.
>>>>> * $500 - miscellaneous - some buffer room for unexpected items.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would
easily spend
>>>>> that in my own staff time, travel costs and
merchandise, etc. if I
>>>>> was going. Sound reasonable?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Tyler
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2008
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Marketing mailing list
>>>>> Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
>>>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open Source
> http://www.lisasoft.com
>
>
>

--
Arnulf Christl

+1

-Perry

---
Perry Nacionales
pnaciona@gis.umn.edu

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:26:14
To: OSGeo Marketing<marketing@lists.osgeo.org>

+1

Best regards,
Arnulf.

+1

Tim Bowden wrote:

Arnulf,

Frank
problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,
coordinator role.

Tim,
what do you say?

"sort

Best regards,
Arnulf.

But

Africa,

job.

before the event.

OSGeo. [1]

there:

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter

--
Arnulf Christl

+1 (like my vote on the board list, so maybe a little duplication here :wink: )
Jeroen

On Sep 9, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:

+1

-Perry

---
Perry Nacionales
pnaciona@gis.umn.edu

+1

Best regards,
Arnulf.

+1

Tim Bowden wrote:

Arnulf,

Frank
problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,
coordinator role.

Tim,
what do you say?

"sort

Best regards,
Arnulf.

But

Africa,

job.

before the event.

OSGeo. [1]

there:

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter

--
Arnulf Christl

Thanks All.

I declare this motion passed with 7 votes (this is just a coincidence :slight_smile: from Cameron, Tyler, Michael, Nathalie, Pericles, Jeroen, myself and additional backing from the Board of Directors. Tim Bowden is now official Event Owner of "OSGeo at FOSS4G" and will receive travel cost imbursement (or however you call this).

Tim, congratulations and I look forward to work with you at the FOSS4G OSGeo booth. Please contact Tyler or myself for all the nitty gritty details that will follow.

Best regards, Arnulf.

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:

+1 (like my vote on the board list, so maybe a little duplication here :wink: )
Jeroen

On Sep 9, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:

+1

-Perry

---
Perry Nacionales
pnaciona@gis.umn.edu

+1

Best regards,
Arnulf.

+1

Tim Bowden wrote:

Arnulf,

Frank
problems from my side.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

Cameron Shorter wrote:

Tyler,
coordinator role.

Tim,
what do you say?

"sort

Best regards,
Arnulf.

But

Africa,

job.

before the event.

OSGeo. [1]

there:

Tyler

--
Cameron Shorter

--Arnulf Christl

Thank you all for your vote of confidence, and for making this happen
Arnulf. I'll try my best to live up to it. I'll get the details on the
marketing irc tonight Tyler.

Regard,
Tim Bowden

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 09:15 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:

Thanks All.

I declare this motion passed with 7 votes (this is just a coincidence
:slight_smile: from Cameron, Tyler, Michael, Nathalie, Pericles, Jeroen, myself
and additional backing from the Board of Directors. Tim Bowden is now
official Event Owner of "OSGeo at FOSS4G" and will receive travel cost
imbursement (or however you call this).

Tim, congratulations and I look forward to work with you at the FOSS4G
OSGeo booth. Please contact Tyler or myself for all the nitty gritty
details that will follow.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> +1 (like my vote on the board list, so maybe a little duplication here
> :wink: )
> Jeroen
>
> On Sep 9, 2008, at 10:34 PM, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> -Perry
>>
>> ---
>> Perry Nacionales
>> pnaciona@gis.umn.edu
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: "Arnulf Christl" <arnulf.christl@wheregroup.com>
>>
>> Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:26:14
>> To: OSGeo Marketing<marketing@lists.osgeo.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Marketing] Event Owner for FOSS4G - please vote
>>
>>
>> +1
>>
>> We also have broad backing from the board so that even although the
>> process of this vote is somewhat unorthodox I suggest we just carry on
>> and
>> try to get maybe two or three more votes from this committee until we
>> declare the motion as passed. This should happen at the latest
>> tomorrow at
>> the Marketing Committee IRC meeting.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Arnulf.
>>
>> On Tue, September 9, 2008 00:28, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>> Ok, lets get the ball rolling.
>>>
>>>
>>> Following on from on and off list emails:
>>>
>>>
>>> I propose that $3K US is set aside to cover costs of sending Tim Bowden
>>> to FOSS4G 2008 where Tim will coordinate the running of the OSGeo Booth.
>>>
>>> As a bonus, Tim will look for potential sponsors for FOSS4G2009 and talk
>>> up FOSS4G2009 to potential delegates. (Another marketing activity).
>>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>>
>>> Tim Bowden wrote:
>>>
>>>> Arnulf,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm willing and able, but obviously a decision would be need to be made
>>>> very soon. Just for the record, I've responded off list to Tyler,
>>>> Frank
>>>> and Cameron S. with a few personal concerns I have, but otherwise no
>>>> problems from my side.
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Tim Bowden
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 16:41 +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Tyler,
>>>>>> I'd like to strongly recommend Tim Bowden for the OSGeo Booth
>>>>>> coordinator role.
>>>>>>
>>>>> Tim,
>>>>> what do you say?
>>>>>
>>>>> If you are interested I will talk to OSGeo Finance and see whether we
>>>>> can bend Tyler's travel costs to your name and make you the official
>>>>> OSGeo Event Owner for FOSS4G 2008. This would mean that you are sort
>>>>> of hired by OSGeo to represent, man and manage the booth. I say
>>>>> "sort
>>>>> of hired" because I think OSGeo never did this before so we are
>>>>> creating a precedence here. But I think it is a good one as we are
>>>>> running short on staff everywhere and volunteers are cool but they
>>>>> are even better if you can pay them - at least a bit.
>>>>>
>>>>> But before I continue down that road please confirm whether you are
>>>>> actually available and would be willing to do what Cameron suggested.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>> Arnulf.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> He did a very good job setting up the OSGeo stand at the WALIS
>>>>>> conference in Western Australia last year and he is an entertaining
>>>>>> and passionate OSGeo salesman.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to scrape funds together for
>>>>>> FOSS4G2008 (he is a 1 man company and can't justify the expense).
>>>>>> But
>>>>>> with elementary expenses paid, he would be there like a shot.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Financially, he doesn't cost much. Perth is not far from South
>>>>>> Africa,
>>>>>> so flights should be less than for others, and a few beer boxes are
>>>>>> sufficient for accommodation. (He'd drink the beer first).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> And most importantly from my point of view, we would really like to
>>>>>> have someone from the Australian FOSS4G2009 committee on the stand,
>>>>>> so that we can promote FOSS4G 2009, and Tim is just the man for the
>>>>>> job.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> As discussed a while back at one of our last meetings, I was
>>>>>>> trying to line up someone to help be the event owner for FOSS4G -
>>>>>>> to help organise and coordinate OSGeo's marketing through the
>>>>>>> booth, etc. Everyone I talk to who is going to be at the event
>>>>>>> only has limited amount of time to commit, or cannot help organise
>>>>>>> before the event.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> So I started to talk to a few people who I have worked with at
>>>>>>> previous events and who might be more likely to attend if they had
>>>>>>> a free conference pass and a small budget to offset some of their
>>>>>>> costs. The free pass wasn't really enough for anyone I spoke to.
>>>>>>> Since it looks like I won't be able to attend, it will be
>>>>>>> critical to have someone who can do the planning and delivery of
>>>>>>> the event, but still have some support from me when needed. Some
>>>>>>> of my own travel budget could be used to help cover some of the
>>>>>>> costs but ultimately it would be general marketing costs for
>>>>>>> OSGeo. [1]
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This is the one event that I believe is important enough to make
>>>>>>> sure we have a full time booth staffer and planner/coordinator
>>>>>>> available. Volunteers certainly are still needed to do it right,
>>>>>>> but unless there is one person to go to, the whole effort can fall
>>>>>>> apart. Ideally there'd be two people, but I won't push it this
>>>>>>> year :wink:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I would like to propose a budget of $3500 to cover our presence
>>>>>>> there:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> * $1000 - handouts, collateral, shirts, banners, table cover,
>>>>>>> etc. With new branding where possible.
>>>>>>> * $500 - on-site booth costs for maintenance, upgrades, equip
>>>>>>> rentals, etc. Like video displays, extra chairs, cleaning... *
>>>>>>> $1500 - costs for staffing, travel and food costs, etc.
>>>>>>> * $500 - miscellaneous - some buffer room for unexpected items.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Think of it as a delegation exercise for me, I would easily spend
>>>>>>> that in my own staff time, travel costs and merchandise, etc. if I
>>>>>>> was going. Sound reasonable?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Tyler
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2008
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________