[Marketing] Marketing Meeting

Hey,
this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting but I will be on IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only.

The next *regular* meeting has been scheduled for next week:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting

As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting this Friday I suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially be able to propose something useful (hence the short notice for today).

Check these links:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization

...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some ideas. You can find more in the IRC but its messy to find the right places.

Best regards, Arnulf.
--
Arnulf Benno Christl
http://www.osgeo.org
(OSGeo Board Member)
+50.7342N +7.0707E

Arnulf, I would like to come to this meeting, but will be on the bus to work.
I might catch the end of the meeting if you keep talking for hours.

I've put together http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Case_Studies and would welcome feedback.

I think the next step is for all projects to invite their users to contribute Case Studies. It might be best for this to be done under the umbrella of the marketing committee.

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

Hey,
this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting but I will be on IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only.
The next *regular* meeting has been scheduled for next week:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting

As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting this Friday I suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially be able to propose something useful (hence the short notice for today).

Check these links:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization

...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some ideas. You can find more in the IRC but its messy to find the right places.
Best regards, Arnulf.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

On Thu, February 7, 2008 21:22, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Arnulf, I would like to come to this meeting, but will be on the bus to
work. I might catch the end of the meeting if you keep talking for hours.

We can do the meeting next morning our time - that would be 20:00 your
time. Is that a better option?

I've put together http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Case_Studies and would
welcome feedback.

I think the next step is for all projects to invite their users to
contribute Case Studies. It might be best for this to be done under the
umbrella of the marketing committee.

This is a good idea. (Except that "Marketing" is currently no more than
two and a half volunteers... :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

Hey,
this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting but I will be on
IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing
relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only. The next *regular*
meeting has been scheduled for next week:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting

As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting this Friday I
suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially be able to propose
something useful (hence the short notice for today).

Check these links:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization

...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some ideas.
You can find more in the IRC but its messy to find the right places.
Best regards, Arnulf.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

_______________________________________________
Marketing mailing list
Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com

Arnulf,
Meeting was for today?

I plan to be on IRC #osgeo at 20:15 today in Sydney, but might be called off to an important phone call, so I apologize in advance if I'm not around.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2008&month=2&day=12&hour=9&min=15&sec=0&p1=37&p2=240&p3=179

Arnulf Christl wrote:

On Thu, February 7, 2008 21:22, Cameron Shorter wrote:
  

Arnulf, I would like to come to this meeting, but will be on the bus to
work. I might catch the end of the meeting if you keep talking for hours.
    
We can do the meeting next morning our time - that would be 20:00 your
time. Is that a better option?

I've put together http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Case_Studies and would
welcome feedback.

I think the next step is for all projects to invite their users to
contribute Case Studies. It might be best for this to be done under the
umbrella of the marketing committee.
    
This is a good idea. (Except that "Marketing" is currently no more than
two and a half volunteers... :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

Hey,
this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting but I will be on
IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing
relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only. The next *regular*
meeting has been scheduled for next week:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting

As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting this Friday I
suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially be able to propose
something useful (hence the short notice for today).

Check these links:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization

...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some ideas.
You can find more in the IRC but its messy to find the right places.
Best regards, Arnulf.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

_______________________________________________
Marketing mailing list
Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

On Tue, February 12, 2008 07:34, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Arnulf,
Meeting was for today?

I plan to be on IRC #osgeo at 20:15 today in Sydney, but might be called
off to an important phone call, so I apologize in advance if I'm not
around.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2008&month
=2&day=12&hour=9&min=15&sec=0&p1=37&p2=240&p3=179

Cameron,
the meeting was planned for the 13th. Unfortunately I cannot attend
because a colleague dropped out sick. So for this meeting we should
probably stick to what it says in the Wiki, I will try to be in IRC at
that time:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=02&day=13&year=2008&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

For you this seems to be 9:00 in the morning.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl wrote:

On Thu, February 7, 2008 21:22, Cameron Shorter wrote:

Arnulf, I would like to come to this meeting, but will be on the bus
to work. I might catch the end of the meeting if you keep talking for
hours.

We can do the meeting next morning our time - that would be 20:00 your
time. Is that a better option?

I've put together http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Case_Studies and
would welcome feedback.

I think the next step is for all projects to invite their users to
contribute Case Studies. It might be best for this to be done under
the umbrella of the marketing committee.

This is a good idea. (Except that "Marketing" is currently no more than
two and a half volunteers... :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Arnulf.

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

Hey,
this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting but I will
be on IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing
relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only. The next
*regular*
meeting has been scheduled for next week:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting

As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting this Friday I
suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially be able to
propose something useful (hence the short notice for today).

Check these links:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization

...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some
ideas. You can find more in the IRC but its messy to find the right
places. Best regards, Arnulf.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

_______________________________________________
Marketing mailing list
Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html

--
With best regards,
Arnulf Christl
-------------------------
http://www.wheregroup.com
http://www.osgeo.org
http://www.mapbender.org
-------------------------
+49 228 9090 38 0
-------------------------
WhereGroup GmbH & Co.KG
Siemensstra├če 8
53121 Bonn
GERMANY

Wednesday at 2pm for me, I'll try to be there.

-mpg

-----Original Message-----
From: marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of
Arnulf Christl (WhereGroup)
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:02 PM
To: Cameron Shorter
Cc: marketing@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Marketing] Marketing Meeting

On Tue, February 12, 2008 07:34, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Arnulf,
> Meeting was for today?
>
>
> I plan to be on IRC #osgeo at 20:15 today in Sydney, but
might be called
> off to an important phone call, so I apologize in advance if I'm not
> around.
>
>
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year

=2008&month

> =2&day=12&hour=9&min=15&sec=0&p1=37&p2=240&p3=179

Cameron,
the meeting was planned for the 13th. Unfortunately I cannot attend
because a colleague dropped out sick. So for this meeting we should
probably stick to what it says in the Wiki, I will try to be in IRC at
that time:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=02&

day=13&year=2008&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

For you this seems to be 9:00 in the morning.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>
>> On Thu, February 7, 2008 21:22, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Arnulf, I would like to come to this meeting, but will be
on the bus
>>> to work. I might catch the end of the meeting if you keep
talking for
>>> hours.
>>>
>>
>> We can do the meeting next morning our time - that would
be 20:00 your
>> time. Is that a better option?
>>
>>
>>> I've put together http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Case_Studies and
>>> would welcome feedback.
>>>
>>> I think the next step is for all projects to invite their users to
>>> contribute Case Studies. It might be best for this to be
done under
>>> the umbrella of the marketing committee.
>>>
>>
>> This is a good idea. (Except that "Marketing" is currently
no more than
>> two and a half volunteers... :slight_smile:
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Arnulf.
>>
>>
>>
>>> Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hey,
>>>> this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting
but I will
>>>> be on IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing
>>>> relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only. The next
>>>> *regular*
>>>> meeting has been scheduled for next week:
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting
this Friday I
>>>> suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially
be able to
>>>> propose something useful (hence the short notice for today).
>>>>
>>>> Check these links:
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some
>>>> ideas. You can find more in the IRC but its messy to
find the right
>>>> places. Best regards, Arnulf.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> --
>>> Cameron Shorter
>>> Geospatial Systems Architect
>>> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>>> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Think Globally, Fix Locally
>>> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
>>> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Marketing mailing list
>>> Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html
>
>
>

--
With best regards,
Arnulf Christl
-------------------------
http://www.wheregroup.com
http://www.osgeo.org
http://www.mapbender.org
-------------------------
+49 228 9090 38 0
-------------------------
WhereGroup GmbH & Co.KG
Siemensstra├če 8
53121 Bonn
GERMANY

_______________________________________________
Marketing mailing list
Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 22:01 +0100, Arnulf Christl (WhereGroup) wrote:

On Tue, February 12, 2008 07:34, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Arnulf,
> Meeting was for today?
>
>
> I plan to be on IRC #osgeo at 20:15 today in Sydney, but might be called
> off to an important phone call, so I apologize in advance if I'm not
> around.
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2008&month
> =2&day=12&hour=9&min=15&sec=0&p1=37&p2=240&p3=179

I'll be there for about the first 40 mins or so.

Tim

Cameron,
the meeting was planned for the 13th. Unfortunately I cannot attend
because a colleague dropped out sick. So for this meeting we should
probably stick to what it says in the Wiki, I will try to be in IRC at
that time:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=02&day=13&year=2008&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

For you this seems to be 9:00 in the morning.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>
>> On Thu, February 7, 2008 21:22, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Arnulf, I would like to come to this meeting, but will be on the bus
>>> to work. I might catch the end of the meeting if you keep talking for
>>> hours.
>>>
>>
>> We can do the meeting next morning our time - that would be 20:00 your
>> time. Is that a better option?
>>
>>
>>> I've put together http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Case_Studies and
>>> would welcome feedback.
>>>
>>> I think the next step is for all projects to invite their users to
>>> contribute Case Studies. It might be best for this to be done under
>>> the umbrella of the marketing committee.
>>>
>>
>> This is a good idea. (Except that "Marketing" is currently no more than
>> two and a half volunteers... :slight_smile:
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Arnulf.
>>
>>
>>
>>> Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hey,
>>>> this is not exactly the best time to call for a meeting but I will
>>>> be on IRC around 11pm my time (10pm UTC) to discuss the marketing
>>>> relevant issues for the SPD. This is informal only. The next
>>>> *regular*
>>>> meeting has been scheduled for next week:
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Marketing#Regular_Meeting
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> As we will be discussing the SPD in the board meeting this Friday I
>>>> suggest that Marketing make up her mind to potentially be able to
>>>> propose something useful (hence the short notice for today).
>>>>
>>>> Check these links:
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Talk:Service_Provider_Directory
>>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SPD_Prioritization
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ...and a mail by Frank Warmerdam and Jo Walsh who also ha some
>>>> ideas. You can find more in the IRC but its messy to find the right
>>>> places. Best regards, Arnulf.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> --
>>> Cameron Shorter
>>> Geospatial Systems Architect
>>> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>>> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Think Globally, Fix Locally
>>> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
>>> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Marketing mailing list
>>> Marketing@lists.osgeo.org
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/marketing
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Systems Architect
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Solutions
> http://www.lisasoft.com/LISAsoft/SupportedProducts.html
>
>
>

Sorry I'm late, having network problems. I'm David Percy, GeoSpatial Data Manager for the Geology Dept at Portland State University. Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

Wednesday at 2pm for me, I'll try to be there.

-mpg

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager
Geology Department
Portland State University
http://gisgeek.pdx.edu
503-725-3373

Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Since AutoDesk isn't sponsoring a booth this year, I thought I'd get creative and see what we could come up with.

IBM sponsors a booth for PSU every year, usually. Bart Massey from our CS dept is in charge of it (and, incidentally, Goog SOC), and he gets student volunteers to staff the booth and talk about OS at PSU. Also, Oregon State's Open Source Labs (OSL) is usually at that booth. This year Bart has agreed, over lunch today, to have us focus on open source GIS. So I will help corral some students and we'll talk about our web-mapping products. I assume we'll put up the OSGEO banner and have pamplets.

Tim Welch from EcoTrust has also offered to help. He was one of our PSU student volunteers last year, and now has a real job doing development using most OSGEO tools. (maybe he should be a case study).

Anyway... I think a BOF where we show off some cool apps, maybe do some lighting talks would be nice. Perhaps OSGEO could pay for some food or drink for that, and rent a projector...
And a pass to the conference that we could all share would be a nice perk!
:slight_smile:

Cheers,
Percy

percy wrote:

Sorry I'm late, having network problems. I'm David Percy, GeoSpatial Data Manager for the Geology Dept at Portland State University. Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

Wednesday at 2pm for me, I'll try to be there.

-mpg

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager
Geology Department
Portland State University
http://gisgeek.pdx.edu
503-725-3373

On 13-Feb-08, at 3:42 PM, percy wrote:

IBM sponsors a booth for PSU every year, usually. Bart Massey from our CS dept is in charge of it (and, incidentally, Goog SOC), and he gets student volunteers to staff the booth and talk about OS at PSU. Also, Oregon State's Open Source Labs (OSL) is usually at that booth. This year Bart has agreed, over lunch today, to have us focus on open source GIS. So I will help corral some students and we'll talk about our web-mapping products. I assume we'll put up the OSGEO banner and have pamplets.

This sounds like a great opportunity. I can send you the pop-up banner if you like.

Tim Welch from EcoTrust has also offered to help. He was one of our PSU student volunteers last year, and now has a real job doing development using most OSGEO tools. (maybe he should be a case study).

Anyway... I think a BOF where we show off some cool apps, maybe do some lighting talks would be nice. Perhaps OSGEO could pay for some food or drink for that, and rent a projector...
And a pass to the conference that we could all share would be a nice perk!
:slight_smile:

Do you think we need to purchase a pass, or would one of your associates have at least some exhibitor passes available? Can you give us a ballpark cost for helping support what you suggest above? It's a good show to be at, in my opinion, so would support the effort.

Others?

Tyler

Good question! When the IBM folks contact Bart, I'll find out what the exhibitor pass situation is. Maybe we'll already have enough to share and OSGEO can buy some food and/or drink for the BOF...

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

On 13-Feb-08, at 3:42 PM, percy wrote:

IBM sponsors a booth for PSU every year, usually. Bart Massey from our CS dept is in charge of it (and, incidentally, Goog SOC), and he gets student volunteers to staff the booth and talk about OS at PSU. Also, Oregon State's Open Source Labs (OSL) is usually at that booth. This year Bart has agreed, over lunch today, to have us focus on open source GIS. So I will help corral some students and we'll talk about our web-mapping products. I assume we'll put up the OSGEO banner and have pamplets.

This sounds like a great opportunity. I can send you the pop-up banner if you like.

Tim Welch from EcoTrust has also offered to help. He was one of our PSU student volunteers last year, and now has a real job doing development using most OSGEO tools. (maybe he should be a case study).

Anyway... I think a BOF where we show off some cool apps, maybe do some lighting talks would be nice. Perhaps OSGEO could pay for some food or drink for that, and rent a projector...
And a pass to the conference that we could all share would be a nice perk!
:slight_smile:

Do you think we need to purchase a pass, or would one of your associates have at least some exhibitor passes available? Can you give us a ballpark cost for helping support what you suggest above? It's a good show to be at, in my opinion, so would support the effort.

Others?

Tyler

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager
Geology Department
Portland State University
http://gisgeek.pdx.edu
503-725-3373

All,
Wednesday this week is time for Marketing IRC meeting but I might not be able to make it due to travel. Please go ahead anyway.

Hi Percy,
at the last meeting we did not get around to talk about this so I wanted to bring it up on the list again. Comments inline.

percy wrote:

Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Excellent, any kind of continuity is good. Next thing is you try to "build" a group of people around who can do the same thing in a year where you'd rather go on vacations. Obviously groups don't get built but they coagulate around a crystallization node, etc.

Since AutoDesk isn't sponsoring a booth this year, I thought I'd get creative and see what we could come up with.

IBM sponsors a booth for PSU every year, usually. Bart Massey from our CS dept is in charge of it (and, incidentally, Goog SOC), and he gets student volunteers to staff the booth and talk about OS at PSU. Also, Oregon State's Open Source Labs (OSL) is usually at that booth. This year Bart has agreed, over lunch today, to have us focus on open source GIS. So I will help corral some students and we'll talk about our web-mapping products. I assume we'll put up the OSGEO banner and have pamplets.

Excellent. Do you have a banner? If not Marketing should be able to make one and ship it to you or - even better - only refund your expenses. In the latter case you should get an offer beforehand and let Marketing know how much it will be so that we can check with our budget (a moving target anyway). I suggest that this banner would then stay with you so that you can reuse it for presentations, conferences, etc. and give it to people in your vicinity for the same purposes. Shipping them around is probably more expensive and less reliable in the long run. There are some images of the banners we have used so far in the Wiki (but it is down again right now).

Tim Welch from EcoTrust has also offered to help. He was one of our PSU student volunteers last year, and now has a real job doing development using most OSGEO tools. (maybe he should be a case study).

Excellent, thats a good idea. Maybe we could make him our first live, interactive exhibit (like colts in petting zoos). (Disclaimer: I am trying to be funny, if this is objectionable in your culture I apologize... :slight_smile:

Anyway... I think a BOF where we show off some cool apps, maybe do some lighting talks would be nice. Perhaps OSGEO could pay for some food or drink for that, and rent a projector...

Renting a projector is not a problem, again you should first let us know how much that would be (any maybe first check whether the university can lend one). I am unsure about money for food/drink because it is harder to argument how much for how many and why and so on. Maybe we need to bring this up as a general question again in an IRC meeting.

And a pass to the conference that we could all share would be a nice perk!
:slight_smile:

First try to get a few from the organizer of the conference, the university or IBM or all four of them. If that does not work let this list know how many you need and at what cost, we can then check sponsors or pay for them.

Hope this answers a few questions.

Best regards, Arnulf.

Cheers,
Percy

percy wrote:

Sorry I'm late, having network problems. I'm David Percy, GeoSpatial Data Manager for the Geology Dept at Portland State University. Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

Wednesday at 2pm for me, I'll try to be there.

-mpg

An update:

We will be sharing the IBM booth at OSCON in Portland with OSU's OpenSourceLab, and the IBM LinuxDEV Team.

I have the popup banner, and the table skirt already. They have no problem with us using the OSGEO logo at their booth.

We'll have power and tables.

If someone could save me the trouble of figuring out how to get brochures, I would dearly appreciate it.

I liked the joke about the petting zoo. I'll have to share that with Tim!

I think we will have 2 passes to share amongst all the volunteers from both schools. It would probably help cement my crew if I could get 1 pass to share just for the OSGEO team.

As we get closer to the event (currently ~ 6 weeks away) I'll look into the BOF ideas and give you a budget for food and drink to approve/dissaprove.
:slight_smile:

Thanks,
Percy

2/25/2008 Arnulf Christl wrote:

All,
Wednesday this week is time for Marketing IRC meeting but I might not be able to make it due to travel. Please go ahead anyway.
Hi Percy,
at the last meeting we did not get around to talk about this so I wanted to bring it up on the list again. Comments inline.
percy wrote:

Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Excellent, any kind of continuity is good. Next thing is you try to "build" a group of people around who can do the same thing in a year where you'd rather go on vacations. Obviously groups don't get built but they coagulate around a crystallization node, etc.

Since AutoDesk isn't sponsoring a booth this year, I thought I'd get creative and see what we could come up with.

IBM sponsors a booth for PSU every year, usually. Bart Massey from our CS dept is in charge of it (and, incidentally, Goog SOC), and he gets student volunteers to staff the booth and talk about OS at PSU. Also, Oregon State's Open Source Labs (OSL) is usually at that booth. This year Bart has agreed, over lunch today, to have us focus on open source GIS. So I will help corral some students and we'll talk about our web-mapping products. I assume we'll put up the OSGEO banner and have pamplets.

Excellent. Do you have a banner? If not Marketing should be able to make one and ship it to you or - even better - only refund your expenses. In the latter case you should get an offer beforehand and let Marketing know how much it will be so that we can check with our budget (a moving target anyway). I suggest that this banner would then stay with you so that you can reuse it for presentations, conferences, etc. and give it to people in your vicinity for the same purposes. Shipping them around is probably more expensive and less reliable in the long run. There are some images of the banners we have used so far in the Wiki (but it is down again right now).

Tim Welch from EcoTrust has also offered to help. He was one of our PSU student volunteers last year, and now has a real job doing development using most OSGEO tools. (maybe he should be a case study).

Excellent, thats a good idea. Maybe we could make him our first live, interactive exhibit (like colts in petting zoos). (Disclaimer: I am trying to be funny, if this is objectionable in your culture I apologize... :slight_smile:

Anyway... I think a BOF where we show off some cool apps, maybe do some lighting talks would be nice. Perhaps OSGEO could pay for some food or drink for that, and rent a projector...

Renting a projector is not a problem, again you should first let us know how much that would be (any maybe first check whether the university can lend one). I am unsure about money for food/drink because it is harder to argument how much for how many and why and so on. Maybe we need to bring this up as a general question again in an IRC meeting.

And a pass to the conference that we could all share would be a nice perk!
:slight_smile:

First try to get a few from the organizer of the conference, the university or IBM or all four of them. If that does not work let this list know how many you need and at what cost, we can then check sponsors or pay for them.
Hope this answers a few questions.

Best regards, Arnulf.

Cheers,
Percy

percy wrote:

Sorry I'm late, having network problems. I'm David Percy, GeoSpatial Data Manager for the Geology Dept at Portland State University. Tyler thought I should join the marketing committee so we could talk about OSGEO presence at OSCON in Portland this year. I've represented OSGEO in this capacity for the last two years.

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

Wednesday at 2pm for me, I'll try to be there.

-mpg

--
David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager
Geology Department
Portland State University
http://gisgeek.pdx.edu
503-725-3373