[Marketing] Marketing Targets

Hello,
I suggest to first focus on new potential users, then sponsors. Developers pick all of this it up anyway if they are good. I have put together a few messages and how they are connected. As main targets for Marketing I can identify:
* New users (direct marketing)
* New sponsors (good direct marketing as argument to get sponsors)
* New projects (Only a strong, independent OSGeo is attractive to cool[1] projects. We want cool projects to join)

Marketing should not have to care about existing projects, sponsors and users, but - and thats the trick - by doing a good marketing job, all existing projects, sponsors and users will also profit because it is good for OSGeo from an overall viewpoint.

To new users the message could be:
* Use OSGeo Software because it is proven and thats what we are here for
  and good at
* Explain OSGeo's role in Incubation and why this is good for users. * OSGeo will achieve better Geospatial data availability - a crucial problem to many users
* OSGeo Education will help you to get better educated and find a job
* Connecting with the OSGeo community makes you learn, understand and profit for free[2]

To potential sponsors this message can be conveyed with a slant on monetary profit:
* You profit by sponsoring OSGeo because OSGeo *is* well known and accepted as an authority in the matter
* Your OSGeo support will raise your Karma with new potential customers
* Your service will be easier to find (still needs some "pimp my SPD",
  working on this...)

To existing OSGeo projects this message can be conveyed with a slant on raising awareness in the community, spread the word and potentially get more support for development (monetary or capacities):
* More sponsors bring in more money (this is also "internal" marketing
  of the OSGeo project sponsorship program)
* More visibility raises awareness, usage and liveliness
* Graduating is good, push it. (but be careful to not push it too hard
  as it is one of the few assets that OSGeo's actually *can* market!)

To new projects the connected message is obvious:
* Apply for incubation (if you dare) as it will raise your profile
* Profit from collaboration in a community. If there already are
  competing projects inside OSGeo then it will be better to also join instead of working "against it" from the outside. OSGeo is by default gentle to everybody.

Best regards, Arnulf.

[1] "Coolness" is probably not quite the right term - but then again - we are into marketing here. "Cool" in this context means

[2] Obviously OSGeo aims at exploiting individuals as any other non-profit also does. But this should happen as a result of people being happy and wanting to get exploited (see also Damian Conway's FOSS4G Keynote), not because OSGeo whines for volunteers as so many non-profits do. OSGeo is a cool shop and it is cool to volunteer for things.

Excellent wording Arnulf!!

On Nov 20, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

Hello,
I suggest to first focus on new potential users, then sponsors. Developers pick all of this it up anyway if they are good. I have put together a few messages and how they are connected. As main targets for Marketing I can identify:
* New projects (Only a strong, independent OSGeo is attractive to cool[1] projects. We want cool projects to join)

Marketing should not have to care about existing projects, sponsors and users, but - and thats the trick - by doing a good marketing job, all existing projects, sponsors and users will also profit because it is good for OSGeo from an overall viewpoint.
and good at
* Explain OSGeo's role in Incubation and why this is good for users. * OSGeo will achieve better Geospatial data availability - a crucial problem to many users
* Connecting with the OSGeo community makes you learn, understand and profit for free[2]

To potential sponsors this message can be conveyed with a slant on monetary profit:
* You profit by sponsoring OSGeo because OSGeo *is* well known and accepted as an authority in the matter
working on this...)

To existing OSGeo projects this message can be conveyed with a slant on raising awareness in the community, spread the word and potentially get more support for development (monetary or capacities):
competing projects inside OSGeo then it will be better to also join instead of working "against it" from the outside. OSGeo is by default gentle to everybody.
Best regards, Arnulf.
[1] "Coolness" is probably not quite the right term - but then again - we are into marketing here. "Cool" in this context means
[2] Obviously OSGeo aims at exploiting individuals as any other non-profit also does. But this should happen as a result of people being happy and wanting to get exploited (see also Damian Conway's FOSS4G Keynote), not because OSGeo whines for volunteers as so many non-profits do. OSGeo is a cool shop and it is cool to volunteer for things.

I like the summary and think you've helped clarify the direction without making it too complicated.

Thank you,
Tyler

On 20-Nov-07, at 2:34 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

Hello,

and good at

working on this...)

Best regards, Arnulf.

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
tmitchell@osgeo.org
P: +1-250-277-1621
M: +1-250-303-1831

Nice email Arnulf.

WebCom did some initial brainstorming on this, but it kind-of fizzled (due to lack of guidance/mandate?). You can see some of the results here:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus

It would be great if we could look at website focus from this aspect for navigation, etc.

Please note that I am absolutely opposed to anything but natural SEO on our web site. It would be nice to have the ability to add description (for nicer looking SERPs) and keywords for content correlation, generate a site map, etc, etc. However, I think that the most important website marketing that we can do is to add targetted content that is important to us and our users (no gateway pages). Once we know who the users we want to target are, we'll be much further ahead :slight_smile:

Having used both occult log analysis (Analog, AwStats, WebTrends, etc) and Google Analytics in the past, I have to say that the latter is hands-down better. I understand that there may be some (privacy?) reluctance to setting up Analytics, but I would be really interested in doing this if there are no show-stoppers. I'd also like to sign up for a Google Webmaster Tools account so that we can easily see various spider-related problems with our site. Do these need motions? And to which committee? I see a lot of the web-based marketing stuff overlapping with WebCom, and a lot of the technical stuff overlapping with SAC. I've said this before but...

Jason

Subject: [Marketing] Marketing Targets

Right on, +1, Arnulf is "cool".

This is what I've been looking to see, I think we're heading the right
way by defining this up front and then using these three "targets" to
drive our efforts.

-mpg

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:marketing-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Arnulf Christl
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:35 AM
To: marketing@lists.osgeo.org

Hello,
I suggest to first focus on new potential users, then
sponsors. Developers pick all of this it up anyway if they
are good. I have put together a few messages and how they are
connected. As main targets for Marketing I can identify:
* New projects (Only a strong, independent OSGeo is
attractive to cool[1] projects. We want cool projects to join)

Marketing should not have to care about existing projects,
sponsors and users, but - and thats the trick - by doing a
good marketing job, all existing projects, sponsors and users
will also profit because it is good for OSGeo from an overall
viewpoint.

* Use OSGeo Software because it is proven and thats what we
are here for
  and good at
* Explain OSGeo's role in Incubation and why this is good for users.
* OSGeo will achieve better Geospatial data availability - a crucial
  problem to many users
* Connecting with the OSGeo community makes you learn, understand
  and profit for free[2]

To potential sponsors this message can be conveyed with a
slant on monetary profit:
* You profit by sponsoring OSGeo because OSGeo *is* well known and
  accepted as an authority in the matter
* Your OSGeo support will raise your Karma with new potential
customers
  working on this...)

To existing OSGeo projects this message can be conveyed with
a slant on raising awareness in the community, spread the
word and potentially get more support for development
(monetary or capacities):

competing projects inside OSGeo then it will be better to also
  join instead of working "against it" from the outside. OSGeo is
  by default gentle to everybody.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[1] "Coolness" is probably not quite the right term - but
then again - we are into marketing here. "Cool" in this context means

[2] Obviously OSGeo aims at exploiting individuals as any
other non-profit also does. But this should happen as a
result of people being happy and wanting to get exploited
(see also Damian Conway's FOSS4G Keynote), not because OSGeo
whines for volunteers as so many non-profits do. OSGeo is a
cool shop and it is cool to volunteer for things.

I think Jason has a great point when he talks about targeting the content to the users the website wants to reach. This will help obtaining more participants, contributers and consequently sponsors. Making a website well ranked in important search engines is also a key to develop it's branding, people who are looking for the keywords associated to the website will run across a link to it every time they make a related search query, that will improve the level of knowledge of OSGeo.

I also agree that in order to apply SEO tools, it would be great if key marketing concepts are clearly defined. This includes setting the target markets and as for that... thumbs up for the prioritizing the focus on potential users.

So as Jeroen said, setting up a SWOT analysis is important and in my view it will give the Marketing Comity a an interesting path to follow and in that case the following topics concerning OSGeo are important to be discussed:

* Strengths
* Weaknesses
* Opportunities
* Strengths

Note, this is a key part of the marketing plan. It would be excellent if these topics were discussed.
Just one question, what are Mission and Vision of OSGeo?

Daniele.

Jason Birch wrote:

Nice email Arnulf.
WebCom did some initial brainstorming on this, but it kind-of fizzled (due to lack of guidance/mandate?). You can see some of the results here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus
It would be great if we could look at website focus from this aspect for navigation, etc.
Please note that I am absolutely opposed to anything but natural SEO on our web site. It would be nice to have the ability to add description (for nicer looking SERPs) and keywords for content correlation, generate a site map, etc, etc. However, I think that the most important website marketing that we can do is to add targetted content that is important to us and our users (no gateway pages). Once we know who the users we want to target are, we'll be much further ahead :slight_smile:
Having used both occult log analysis (Analog, AwStats, WebTrends, etc) and Google Analytics in the past, I have to say that the latter is hands-down better. I understand that there may be some (privacy?) reluctance to setting up Analytics, but I would be really interested in doing this if there are no show-stoppers. I'd also like to sign up for a Google Webmaster Tools account so that we can easily see various spider-related problems with our site. Do these need motions? And to which committee? I see a lot of the web-based marketing stuff overlapping with WebCom, and a lot of the technical stuff overlapping with SAC. I've said this before but...
Jason