[Marketing] update to communication page please review

I updated this page in result to a 'broken link" for instructions on how to post a news item.

https://www.osgeo.org/community/communications/

The language (and link) was unchanged from our prior website…

Key changes are needing review:

a) Links to areas of website where OSGeo users can communicate with the public
b) IRC section

However this page is a mess:
a) it covers “how to communicate” with osgeo community
b) it also covers how osgeo community communicates with public
Can we untangle it?

···

Jody Garnett

Hi Marketing List –

great to see a newly invigorated group on the email list in December 2019 (!)

just a quick note today to say that “prominent placement” at a major 2020 conference is being negotiated now (more details available as things develop). The opportunity here includes OSGeoLive and graduate-level educational content to the knowledgeable public. The emphasis for this event will be on remote sensing data, machine learning and the software stack presented on OSGeoLive, including CoG and STAC (analysis-ready data), FAIR and open data, and environmental applications.

People may know that in the last 30 months, a record number of remote sensing missions have been deployed to space. The data they provide is beginning to appear in various formats and on various platforms.

OSGeoLive is uniquely positioned with multi-lingual documentation, and a single, integrated platform. Personally I feel that OSGeo needs to take a balanced position, and refrain from threatening commercial players with wholesale replacement, but instead emphasize educational aspects, filling important niche needs with low-cost and open distribution, AND not get locked into a permanent association with no-budget research environments. Instead, partnering well and allowing others to build research groups based on the platform, and choosing presentation venues, presents a better long-term balance for the modestly supported OSGeoLive project.

best wishes to all in this holiday season

Brian M Hamlin

Happy new year Brian:

With respect to attending events our strategy has been to support local chapters, or individual members, in their advocacy activities. Do you know of any osgeo groups/individuals attending this event? We have experimented with doing booth swaps also, but found the availability of our members to be limiting factor.

As for a balanced position, it would be good to recruit you for the marketing committee as we have a number of pages for the website, and slides for slide decks, on our backlog. For myself I understand and respect both the “how to integrate open source” and “how to migrate to open source” positions - and watched our community get split on the difference. I am very much on the “open source exists” - and I cannot seem to emphasis enough that folks do not yet know open source is an option :slight_smile:

If you are interested in taking part in the marketing committee it is a very casual commitment, we have a small number of motions (voting by email), and the key requirement is simply to “care about making open source available” :slight_smile:

···

Jody Garnett