OSGF at Where 2.0

> I'm checking to see whether we have a .org

expo hall or something similar. Failing that, I'm happy to throw you a free pass to make it easier for you to come.

Hey Nat, we had a 'visibility committee' meeting for OSGeo today, and one of the topics was OSGeo presence at Where. Things are looking great, thanks for the solid open source focus. And at the board meeting tomorrow we'll figure out who should do the 15 minute spot and get back to you.

But one question that came up was if there was going to be some sort of exhibition area? We're going to have a number of OSGeo members there, and so would have enough people to staff such a thing. A donated booth would be great, or we also can likely link up with Autodesk - but autodesk folks were unsure if there were going to be exhibitions, and if they get one by virtue of being a sponser.

I'm ccing the viscomm list, which is tasked with things like coordinating conference presence for OSGeo (coherent message from multiple speakers, who's doing booth time when, ect.). I've caught them up on what's been talked about so far.

best regards,

Chris

On 28/04/2006, at 1:36 PM, Chris Holmes wrote:

Hey Nat, we had a 'visibility committee' meeting for OSGeo today, and one of the topics was OSGeo presence at Where. Things are looking great, thanks for the solid open source focus. And at the board meeting tomorrow we'll figure out who should do the 15 minute spot and get back to you.

Thanks!

But one question that came up was if there was going to be some sort of exhibition area? We're going to have a number of OSGeo members there, and so would have enough people to staff such a thing. A donated booth would be great, or we also can likely link up with Autodesk - but autodesk folks were unsure if there were going to be exhibitions, and if they get one by virtue of being a sponser.

There's definitely an expo area for sponsors. I'm trying to find out whether there's similar space for the non-profits.

Cheers;

Nat

Ah, was just about to write you a quick typo fix and realized I never actually replied to this, though I meant to.

Nathan Torkington wrote:

On 28/04/2006, at 1:36 PM, Chris Holmes wrote:

Thanks!

Ok, so the latest word on this is that Autodesk is going to use their keynote speech to just talk about OSGeo. So that's going to be Gary Lang, and do intro stuff and business case for it and all. Frank will do the 15 minute slot on more the nitty gritty details of how to get involved in OSGeo, what we do on a day to day basis, ect.

There's definitely an expo area for sponsors. I'm trying to find out whether there's similar space for the non-profits.

Looks like autodesk is also willing to fully donate their booth space to OSGeo, so if there's no space for non-profits we can just make use of it. We have quite a few people attending and/or interested in attending, to staff the booth space, so we should have a good presence. Though unfortunately the OGC OWS-4 kickoff is at the same time, so some of us who are involved in both may have to go to that (Raj is taking a red eye after doing his presentation the first day).

This conference looks like it's coming together quite nicely, great work!

best regards,

Chris

Cheers;

Nat

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

On 4/05/2006, at 4:07 PM, Chris Holmes wrote:

Ok, so the latest word on this is that Autodesk is going to use their keynote speech to just talk about OSGeo. So that's going to be Gary Lang, and do intro stuff and business case for it and all. Frank will do the 15 minute slot on more the nitty gritty details of how to get involved in OSGeo, what we do on a day to day basis, ect.

I'm not so keen on having two talks on OSGeo. The details of how to get involved, etc. should be in a BOF. A lot of the audience will be business munchkins and the chances of them having a patch to send in are somewhere between hell freezing over and Henry Rollins being elected President of the United States :slight_smile:

I have NASA WorldWind itching to speak about their standards-loving open source system. If the AutoDesk session will already be about OSGeo, I'd love to give the morning session to the WorldWind team.

Looks like autodesk is also willing to fully donate their booth space to OSGeo, so if there's no space for non-profits we can just make use of it. We have quite a few people attending and/or interested in attending, to staff the booth space, so we should have a good presence. Though unfortunately the OGC OWS-4 kickoff is at the same time, so some of us who are involved in both may have to go to that (Raj is taking a red eye after doing his presentation the first day).

There are non-profit spaces too, so if you know of other projects that should be there please let me know. There's not enough space for every Freshmeat project, so please prioritize rather than posting to Slashdot :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Nat

Gary, so it looks like Nat wants us to sacrifice the 15 minutes slot he offered us if Autodesk is going to use the half hour keynote for OSGeo.

So I see a couple things we could do. First come up with something more compelling for Frank to talk about. I was hoping to maybe get VisComm involved in figuring out what that could be, before sending this email, but I had forgot to send it, and at the board meeting we decided to just send something. So I could get back to him with a good reason as to why it shouldn't just be in a BOF, what Frank can talk about that'd be of interest to attendees, how it'd be different than the keynote, ect.

The other thing we could do is try to get an 'upgrade' on GDAL or some other foundation project. GDAL I think only has a 5 minute slot at the moment, so we could see if we could take the 15 minute slot, and let worldwind have the 5 minute lightning talk. Or we could just let WorldWind have the 15 minutes slot, as they are a nice open source project supporting open standards.

thoughts?

Nathan Torkington wrote:

I'm not so keen on having two talks on OSGeo. The details of how to get involved, etc. should be in a BOF. A lot of the audience will be business munchkins and the chances of them having a patch to send in are somewhere between hell freezing over and Henry Rollins being elected President of the United States :slight_smile:

I have NASA WorldWind itching to speak about their standards-loving open source system. If the AutoDesk session will already be about OSGeo, I'd love to give the morning session to the WorldWind team.

There are non-profit spaces too, so if you know of other projects that should be there please let me know. There's not enough space for every Freshmeat project, so please prioritize rather than posting to Slashdot :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Nat

--
Chris Holmes

Looking at the schedule: http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/47/program.html

It looks like there's only 2 half hour keynotes, and that it may not be the case that diamond sponsers get full half hour keynotes? Maybe autodesk could confirm on that, and we could try to lobby for that full half hour keynote time slot on the second day? Though yeah, the 15 minute OSGeo talk is scheduled for right after that, so lobbying for that 45 minutes straight would probably be a bit much.

Chris

Chris Holmes wrote:

Gary, so it looks like Nat wants us to sacrifice the 15 minutes slot he offered us if Autodesk is going to use the half hour keynote for OSGeo.

So I see a couple things we could do. First come up with something more compelling for Frank to talk about. I was hoping to maybe get VisComm involved in figuring out what that could be, before sending this email, but I had forgot to send it, and at the board meeting we decided to just send something. So I could get back to him with a good reason as to why it shouldn't just be in a BOF, what Frank can talk about that'd be of interest to attendees, how it'd be different than the keynote, ect.

The other thing we could do is try to get an 'upgrade' on GDAL or some other foundation project. GDAL I think only has a 5 minute slot at the moment, so we could see if we could take the 15 minute slot, and let worldwind have the 5 minute lightning talk. Or we could just let WorldWind have the 15 minutes slot, as they are a nice open source project supporting open standards.

thoughts?

Nathan Torkington wrote:

Thanks!

Nat

To unsubscribe, e-mail: board-unsubscribe@board.osgeo.org
For additional commands, e-mail: board-help@board.osgeo.org

--
Chris Holmes

Chris Holmes wrote:

Chris,

I'm ok with letting WorldWind have the 15 minute slot, assuming that Gary
is willing to let us meddle in his keynote to try and fit in a variety
of things.

In particular, I'm keen to transmit a sense of the ecosystem of components
available from the open source world. What I really want to get across to
the audience is that there is a wide variety of components that they can
leverage in a start-up or a big enterprise to accelerate time to market,
control, flexibility, featurefulnes, etc. That lots of folks are already doing that now.

For me, that suggests survey of available components (or at least a
few highlights as opposed to an in depth review) and the roles they can
play. Libraries like GDAL/OGR, PROJ.4, GEOS, JTS, GeoTools, spatial
databases like PostGIS and MySQL Spatial, and web service components like
MapServer, MapGuide, GeoServer.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush | President OSGF, http://osgeo.org

Nathan Torkington wrote:

Ok, I talked with the board and we're fine with this, as long as Autodesk's slot is a full half hour, as we have a good bit we want to fit in, and we're all going to help out on Gary's talk. And as long as it does go to WorldWind, since we do like them a lot. I couldn't find where Autodesk's slot was on the current schedule? I believe it was their understanding that the diamond sponsership got them a full half hour, but I couldn't figure out how there's room left for 3 half hour diamond sponsered talks? Maybe the OSGeo bump can help us get good placement for it?

How much time is involved in staffing the booths? Like is it just a couple hours for the where fair, or is it during the whole show? I think most of our projects may just go in with the OSGeo booth, though I can maybe think of one or two others that could go on their own for a bit...

Chris

Thanks!

Nat

--
Chris Holmes

Chris wrote to Nat:

Ok, I talked with the board and we're fine with
this, as long as Autodesk's slot is a full half
hour, as we have a good bit we want to
fit in, and we're all going to help out on Gary's
talk. And as long as it does go to WorldWind,
since we do like them a lot.

Woah, by the time I (and others on board/viscom) read the emails the story was over. It may seem superficial but, your "delegation alert" reminder alarm bells should be going off :slight_smile:

What's the rush? Did we really want to give up the slot to WorldWind?

Tyler

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

Chris wrote to Nat:

Ok, I talked with the board and we're fine with this, as long as Autodesk's slot is a full half hour, as we have a good bit we want to fit in, and we're all going to help out on Gary's talk. And as long as it does go to WorldWind, since we do like them a lot.

Woah, by the time I (and others on board/viscom) read the emails the story was over. It may seem superficial but, your "delegation alert" reminder alarm bells should be going off :slight_smile:

Er, sorry? I see that now, I think part of my quick response was that I felt guilty about having taken so long to get back to him and knowing he wants to nail stuff down. And as Frank and Gary are the two speakers involved, and both seemed fine with it, I guess at some level I thought that their feedback was sufficient.

Well, to some extent I don't know that it's ours to give up? If you have some compelling talk that we should try to give in that slot than we can try to pitch it, but it does seem like a bit much if there's a full 45 minutes just about OSGeo, with even more individual projects also talking.

I'm sorry, the next time such a decision comes up I'll leave more time for feedback.

Tyler

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org

--
Chris Holmes

Chris wrote:

Er, sorry?

No apology necessary - you were feeling guilty and excited all at once...who could stop you? :slight_smile:

Re: Worldwind, I just think that we have some other great projects we could showcase through a couple more lightning talks instead of the 15 minute talk. E.g. MapServer, MapGuide, GRASS, OSSIM, MapBender, etc. and even loosely associated ones like osgPlanet if we wanted more eye-candy as well. And we could justify all of them as being "standards loving" too and not just under an OSGeo banner.

I'm sorry, the next time such a decision comes up
I'll leave more time for feedback.

At least you didn't just discuss in IRC, let I'm always tempted to do! It's understandable though, we're still feeling our way through this. We're going to keep bumping into issues like this where the board makes decisions that overlap the mandate of committees like VisCom.

Delegate...delegate, remember, you want to make the board irrelevant, right? :wink: [referring to your blog]

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

Chris wrote:

Er, sorry?

No apology necessary - you were feeling guilty and excited all at once...who could stop you? :slight_smile:

Re: Worldwind, I just think that we have some other great projects we could showcase through a couple more lightning talks instead of the 15 minute talk. E.g. MapServer, MapGuide, GRASS, OSSIM, MapBender, etc. and even loosely associated ones like osgPlanet if we wanted more eye-candy as well. And we could justify all of them as being "standards loving" too and not just under an OSGeo banner.

GRASS already has a 15 minutes slot... Maybe I could write back that we'd like a couple more lightning talks, alongside a WorldWind lightning talk?

I'm sorry, the next time such a decision comes up I'll leave more time for feedback.

At least you didn't just discuss in IRC, let I'm always tempted to do! It's understandable though, we're still feeling our way through this. We're going to keep bumping into issues like this where the board makes decisions that overlap the mandate of committees like VisCom.

Delegate...delegate, remember, you want to make the board irrelevant, right? :wink: [referring to your blog]

Yeah, I do...

Though in this case I thought I was doing viscomm, checking in with board. I think it's harder when we all wear too many hats... Though yeah, so far only those who also wear a board hat seem quick to make decisions, when I'd prefer that say mpg could confidently say yes to the GeoWeb organizers that he could do an OSGeo talk...

Chris

Thanks,
Tyler

--
Chris Holmes

dear all,

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 10:45:15AM -0700, Tyler Mitchell wrote:

Chris wrote to Nat:
> Ok, I talked with the board and we're fine with
> this, as long as Autodesk's slot is a full half
> hour, as we have a good bit we want to
> fit in, and we're all going to help out on Gary's
> talk. And as long as it does go to WorldWind,
> since we do like them a lot.

Yes, I also had a "whoa" moment about the speed of the decision and
the sense in which "we" encompasses the whole Board or whole
Foundation, when only feedback from a couple of people (though
completely key people) has been solicited. It does seem an awfully
fast decision.

Nat is keen to help us, but the audience he is programming for *is*
going to be very business oriented, interested in bells and whistles
and the shiniest possible demos. So a sponsored keynote will attract
the marketing crowd; an evening BOF will attract People Who Care A Lot.
Otherwise, this is characteristic of the general tone:

[[ At Shoutpod we're taking the direct route to place: using Bluetooth
and the mobile internet and hooking proximity networks into the global
Internet ]] etc etc

Perhaps it would be possible to connect up with the WW people and split
the mooted 15 minutes with them, including osgPlanet/OSSIM.

Perhaps, also, if taking a 30 minute slot means losing the opportunity
for a 15 minute one, it might be possible for Gary to split the
presentation time with Frank? If it's something a lot of people got to
work on together, it could be really killer.

At the last ORA conference I was at, Kevin Burton et al set up an
impromptu 'Bar Camp' counter-conference in the lobby and gave their
own lightning talks. Perhaps someone local could bring a soapbox :wink:

cheers, sorry,

jo

Chris,

GRASS already has a 15 minutes slot... Maybe I
could write back that we'd like a couple more
lightning talks, alongside a WorldWind lightning
talk?

But who knows, there may not even be people available to do more talks, hence the need for further discussion among ourselves/members first.

It never hurts to find out more information though, like if Nat would consider turning that whole session into lightning talks instead if we could help fill the slots. I think everyone loves them. I just wouldn't commit us to actually doing it yet :slight_smile:

In the name of equity, it would be better to have a few more projects represented than the very small sub-set that Nat initially chose. Having more lightning talks would be one way to do this. I'd let him worry about fitting in WorldWind - since he obviously wants to and will bump us if he needs to.

Failing that, we can use a BOF called something like "OSGeo: Joining Forces" to showcase a couple other OSGeo projects. This helps stimulate broader discussion but also promote our projects. This worked really well in a BOF Ned and I led in Minneapolis.

Tyler

Hey, have you extended the invitation to WorldWind yet? It looks like I spoke too soon on behalf of OSGeo, emails didn't properly go out, and we're figuring it out now. If you already gave worldwind the go ahead perhaps we could make that slot a lightning talk one and include with WW a couple other OSGeo projects that don't currently have a slot, like MapServer, MapBuilder, OSSIM, or MapBender... This wouldn't be OSGeo focused, but would give us a chance to highlight some of the cool work being done within the org, the projects that us inside the wider Open Source GIS community feel are doing great things. I think this will be more compelling than nitty gritty details, it will be focused on useable open source projects that people can get value out of right now.

More soon, I apologize for jumping the gun on this, we're still sorting out what it means to be a 'foundation', and who can say what with which decision process.

best regards,

Chris

Nathan Torkington wrote:

Thanks!

Nat

--
Chris Holmes

On 5/05/2006, at 7:32 AM, Chris Holmes wrote:

Hey, have you extended the invitation to WorldWind yet? It looks like I spoke too soon on behalf of OSGeo, emails didn't properly go out, and we're figuring it out now. If you already gave worldwind the go ahead perhaps we could make that slot a lightning talk one and include with WW a couple other OSGeo projects that don't currently have a slot, like MapServer, MapBuilder, OSSIM, or MapBender... This wouldn't be OSGeo focused, but would give us a chance to highlight some of the cool work being done within the org, the projects that us inside the wider Open Source GIS community feel are doing great things. I think this will be more compelling than nitty gritty details, it will be focused on useable open source projects that people can get value out of right now.

More soon, I apologize for jumping the gun on this, we're still sorting out what it means to be a 'foundation', and who can say what with which decision process.

No worries. I've not talked to Worldwind yet.

All sessions at OSCON, except for three keynotes, are 15m long. AutoDesk will have a 15m session. I've currently got OSGeo down for a 15m session, that's the one I've been eyeing for WorldWind.

I have a session for three open source lightning talks scheduled for right after the AutoDesk talk. I haven't heard back from any of them (Geoserver, GDAL, UDIG -- I think all three of you are on this dev list).

Cheers;

Nat

> I have a session for three open source lightning talks scheduled for

right after the AutoDesk talk. I haven't heard back from any of them (Geoserver, GDAL, UDIG -- I think all three of you are on this dev list).

I submitted a proposal for GeoServer at the link you gave us, got a confirmation email and everything, is there something else I'm supposed to do. There's a very slight chance I may not personally make it, but my organization will definitely send someone to give the talk. Do you want Jody and Frank to just email you confirming, or to submit on the conference tracker thing?

Neither GeoServer or uDig are technically in the OSGeo foundation, at least not yet, so it might make more sense to have GDAL and two other foundation projects follow that talk, and have GeoServer, uDig and WW do lightnings together. Which would make a lot of sense, as they lead a wave of desktop/internet GIS (with not only WMS, but also WFS, which WW is supposed to have soon). We could even try to coordinate a demo, show how both can clients can connect to GeoServer with the power of standards, demonstrate how feature edits and style changes in uDig show up in WW...

Chris

Cheers;

Nat

--
Chris Holmes

On 5/05/2006, at 1:02 PM, Chris Holmes wrote:

I submitted a proposal for GeoServer at the link you gave us, got a confirmation email and everything, is there something else I'm supposed to do. There's a very slight chance I may not personally make it, but my organization will definitely send someone to give the talk. Do you want Jody and Frank to just email you confirming, or to submit on the conference tracker thing?

Sorry, you're right: you did send it in. I was tripped up by it not appearing in the web schedule yet (something that'll happen in the fullness of time as Vee, our speaker coordinator, marks it as accepted). We can't put things into the schedule unless they're put into the form, so just fill out the form and email me.

Neither GeoServer or uDig are technically in the OSGeo foundation, at least not yet, so it might make more sense to have GDAL and two other foundation projects follow that talk, and have GeoServer, uDig and WW do lightnings together. Which would make a lot of sense, as they lead a wave of desktop/internet GIS (with not only WMS, but also WFS, which WW is supposed to have soon). We could even try to coordinate a demo, show how both can clients can connect to GeoServer with the power of standards, demonstrate how feature edits and style changes in uDig show up in WW...

So you're talking about:

Integration Demo
  * GeoServer + uDig + WorldWind

Gary Lang gives the OSGeo talk

Lightning Talks:
  * GDAL/OGRE
  * two other foundation projects

I like that. Particularly if there's a demo and not just lightning talks. The WorldWind story to me is not just about OGC connectivity but also about being a neutral meeting point for Yahoo! APIs, VirtualEarth imagery, etc. That's probably more than 5m of speaking. It's significant that Google's the only project that hasn't worked with WorldWind, probably because they have a competitor. I'll be sure to mention that afterward as a jab :slight_smile:

If OSGeo and AutoDesk cool with that setup, I'll Make It So. Thanks,

Nat

What do people think of this proposal? Looks like Nat is going for it. It'd give OSGeo 15 minutes in Autodesk's session (diamond sponsers get 15 minutes), and right after that 3 lightning talks highlighting foundation projects. GRASS already has its own 15 minute session. And then WW would go with uDig and GeoServer, who already had lightning slots, so we only lose 5 minutes total to WW.

C

So you're talking about:

Integration Demo
* GeoServer + uDig + WorldWind

Gary Lang gives the OSGeo talk

Lightning Talks:
* GDAL/OGRE
* two other foundation projects

I like that. Particularly if there's a demo and not just lightning talks. The WorldWind story to me is not just about OGC connectivity but also about being a neutral meeting point for Yahoo! APIs, VirtualEarth imagery, etc. That's probably more than 5m of speaking. It's significant that Google's the only project that hasn't worked with WorldWind, probably because they have a competitor. I'll be sure to mention that afterward as a jab :slight_smile:

If OSGeo and AutoDesk cool with that setup, I'll Make It So. Thanks,

Nat

--
Chris Holmes

dear Chris,

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 09:42:55PM -0400, Chris Holmes wrote:

What do people think of this proposal? Looks like Nat is going for it.
It'd give OSGeo 15 minutes in Autodesk's session (diamond sponsers get
15 minutes), and right after that 3 lightning talks highlighting
foundation projects. GRASS already has its own 15 minute session. And
then WW would go with uDig and GeoServer, who already had lightning
slots, so we only lose 5 minutes total to WW.

This seems to me like a fine compromise solution; OSGeo gets to do, in
some capacity, what it was originally asked for; Nat gets to optimise the
amount of shiny, visually impressive stuff that goes on the platform;
this can all be complemented by a BOF led by Frank and by space on a stall.

That neither of those projects are "foundation projects" is not super
relevant, as 1) I guess there's some expectation that uDig and
GeoServer will join in the future and 2) it's all part of the broad
ecology / stack which the Foundation is growing in order to promote...

good on you for effort to get this sorted out,

jo