Hello everyone!
I just wanted to share my brief summary of QGIS in preparation for our new user group’s upcoming presentation on QGIS.ORG.
CAMILO PEREZ ARRAU
GIS Advisor / Director
I am a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) professional with over 25 years of experience in a wide range of projects. I also hold a bachelor’s degree in geography and a master’s degree in GIS and urban planning.
I have been interested in open-source software since 2000. I have been using QGIS for professional purposes for many years and have closely followed its evolution until it became the highly sophisticated project it is today, equipped with fully professional capabilities.
When I launched the QGIS Canada user group on LinkedIn, my goal was to promote the increased use of open-source GIS in this country. I believe in collective knowledge, technology sharing, inclusivity, and the unrestricted use of tools that contribute to societal development.
Our goal is to become a national leader in QGIS by fostering knowledge, development, and use of QGIS in Canada.
LinkedIn profile: Camilo Pérez Arrau - AustralGIS Inc. | LinkedIn
Please, let me know if this summary fits the requirements.
Cheers,
Camilo
Thanks Camilo, received, looks good. I also received one from Maxime.
I have emailed Kalen Martens for his. Can you ask Rodolphe for his
(QGIS-based) bio?
thanks,
-jeff
If it helps Rodolphe to see the other bios so far, here they are:
Maxime Thériault
Maxime Thériault is a biologist with a master’s degree in geographical
sciences who has been using QGIS as primary GIS software for the last 15
years. Ten years ago, he created Territoires, his consulting firm, which
offers services of spatial analysis, thematic mapping, strategic and
technical support in GIS as well as QGIS courses. Maxime has held many
different QGIS trainings per year through Territoires in the last decade
to different clients including non-profits, private consulting firms as
well as governmental agencies. He thus cumulated more than 500 hours of
teaching and at least as many participants. He has personally
contributed financially to the QGIS project and Territoires has been a
small contributing member for several years. Maxime is also teaching GIS
(using QGIS) to graduate and undergraduate students in different
programs (biology, environmental sciences, geomatics) at University of
Sherbrooke, since 2016.
Linked In profile:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/maximethériaultbiologisteduterritoire/
Camilo Perez Arrau
Camilo Perez Arrau is a Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
professional with over 25 years of experience in a wide range of
projects. Camilo also holds a bachelor’s degree in geography and a
master’s degree in GIS and urban planning. He has been interested in
open-source software since 2000. He has been using QGIS for professional
purposes for many years and has closely followed its evolution until it
became the highly sophisticated project it is today, equipped with fully
professional capabilities.
When Camilo launched the QGIS Canada user group on LinkedIn, his goal
was to promote the increased use of open-source GIS in this country. He
believes in collective knowledge, technology sharing, inclusivity, and
the unrestricted use of tools that contribute to societal development.
Our goal is to become a national leader in QGIS by fostering knowledge,
development, and use of QGIS in Canada.
LinkedIn profile: Camilo Pérez Arrau - AustralGIS Inc. | LinkedIn
Jeff McKenna
Jeff McKenna is one of the 3 founders of the widely popular FOSS4G
international conferences, dating back to 2004 when he met with Venka
Raghavan and Markus Neteler in Thailand, with the goal of merging the
GRASS and MapServer conferences into one annual event. Having focused
on “freeware” software and “interoperability” for his undergraduate and
graduate studies in the 1990’s, he would go on to solely focus on Open
Source software and open data for his entire career. Most of his Open
Source efforts have gone into the MapServer project, where he is now
over 26 years of contributions. Jeff was also one of the first Charter
members in 2006 of the OSGeo foundation, where he would go on to become
one of the Presidents of OSGeo. In 2016 Jeff was the recipient of the
Sol Katz Award, for his FOSS4G community contributions.
Jeff is proud to have been the keynote speaker of the first QGIS User
Conference, in 2015 in Nødebo, Denmark. Around the time of that first
QGIS event, he was also one of the many editors to the initial by-laws
of the QGIS.ORG entity. A long-time QGIS power user, he often points
out to others that his screen captures of QGIS 0.6 “Simon” are still
alive as part of the documentation on the mapserver.org website.
Jeff aims to help QGIS users in Canada to share, and help contribute to
the growth of QGIS.ORG, through this new user group initiative.
LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffmckenna/
Good morning Jeff,
Yes, sure. I already sent an email and multiple SMS to Rodolphe but I will call him again as a last try.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Camilo
Rodolphe Gonzalès
Rodolphe Gonzalès is a professor in the Department of Geography at Université du Québec à Montréal, where he directs the graduate programs unit in geography. His research addresses spatial inequalities in access to water, green space, public transit and essential services, combining quantitative spatial analysis and geomatics with human geography.
He has been using QGIS for more than 10 years, both in his research and in his teaching. Each year he trains undergraduate and graduate students in spatial analysis, applied GIS problems and geospatial programming in Python, using an entirely open toolchain, where QGIS is often a centrepiece. His commitment to open-source software like QGIS rests on the quality of the software itself, the reproducibility of workflows, data sovereignty, and access for individuals and organizations that cannot afford commercial licences.
Through the user group, he hopes to strengthen ties between the Canadian QGIS community and francophone academia.
For a reason I can’t understand I was having a community block when adding his Linkedin profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rodolphe-gonzalès-7b713286/?skipRedirect=true
Thanks Camilo, received! (yes I just got a notice from Discourse, it
seems to have flagged your posts as Spam suddenly, it seems to have been
related to the LinkedIn urls it seems - I have removed that flag on your
account, it said that you are a “new user pointing to a domain
repeatedly” ha. True, but your posts are not spam.
-jeff
Hi Camilo, all,
I heard back from Kalen Martens and he is working on his bio now.
-jeff
I just saw a post that the QGIS PSC meeting was delayed until yesterday
(likely because many QGIS devs were at FOSS4G Hiroshima last week). So
I expect news soon, crossing fingers…
-jeff
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for sharing updates with us.
We keep crossing fingers!!
Cheers,
Camilo