[SAC] 2021 Budget Planning

Happened to be thinking about starting to plan for the 2021 budget. Michael, can we get a report of 2020 spending for SAC to give us an idea of actual ongoing costs?

Thanks,
Alex

On 11/3/20 2:16 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:

Happened to be thinking about starting to plan for the 2021 budget. Michael, can we get a report of 2020 spending for SAC to give us an idea of actual ongoing costs?

Thanks,
Alex

Amazing quiet, the board really needs us to finish this so they can vote on it next Monday.

Timeline:
* Next 48 hours, get best estimates in.
* Then open for votes until the end of Friday (24 hours), at which point we will need to send the approved budget to the board.

I've copied the 2020 budget and made minor adjustments to for 2021. But there's a few things we need better numbers on. Mike, if you have our actual spend from 2020 that would help us adjust.

TODO:
* Regina - how much did we actually spend on the Wiki contract so far, and what's the estimate to complete? Did we have extra budget approved from the board for this, I can't recall?
* How many contracts do we think make sense for 2021? I suspect budget will be a little tight this year, and this is the only cost that really has a lot of discretion.

Thanks,
Alex
OSGeo Sys Admin Committee Chair

On 1/12/21 7:16 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:

On 11/3/20 2:16 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:

Thanks,
Alex

Amazing quiet, the board really needs us to finish this so they can vote on it next Monday.

Timeline:
* Next 48 hours, get best estimates in.
* Then open for votes until the end of Friday (24 hours), at which point we will need to send the approved budget to the board.

I've copied the 2020 budget and made minor adjustments to for 2021. But there's a few things we need better numbers on. Mike, if you have our actual spend from 2020 that would help us adjust.

TODO:
* Regina - how much did we actually spend on the Wiki contract so far, and what's the estimate to complete? Did we have extra budget approved from the board for this, I can't recall?
* How many contracts do we think make sense for 2021? I suspect budget will be a little tight this year, and this is the only cost that really has a lot of discretion.

Thanks,
Alex
OSGeo Sys Admin Committee Chair

Sorry forgot the link https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2021

-Alex

TODO:
* Regina - how much did we actually spend on the Wiki contract so far, and
what's the estimate to complete? Did we have extra budget approved from
the board for this, I can't recall?

I don't know if the board approved or what, but the budget in my mind was
$10,000 which is what was quoted to finish the job
$5000 definitely approved.

* How many contracts do we think make sense for 2021? I suspect budget
will be a little tight this year, and this is the only cost that really

has a lot of

discretion.

2 or 3 contracts.

I wouldn't go with less than 2.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:16:01AM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> * How many contracts do we think make sense for 2021? I suspect budget
> will be a little tight this year, and this is the only cost that really
> has a lot of discretion.

2 or 3 contracts.

I wouldn't go below 4, to be honest.
It would mean one every 3 months.

--strk;

On 1/13/21 2:08 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

has a lot of discretion.

2 or 3 contracts.

--strk;

Maybe we should split out the Wiki work into a line item.

That's a sizeable amount though, so I'm hesitant to also request too many additional contracts keeping budget in mind. More a matter of prioritizing what needs to happen vs our wishlist.

Can we get some opinions from others watching on the list?

Thanks,
--
Alex Mandel
http://wildintellect.com

On 1/14/21 9:54 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:

On 1/13/21 2:08 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

has a lot of discretion.

2 or 3 contracts.

--strk;

Maybe we should split out the Wiki work into a line item.

That's a sizeable amount though, so I'm hesitant to also request too many additional contracts keeping budget in mind. More a matter of prioritizing what needs to happen vs our wishlist.

Can we get some opinions from others watching on the list?

Thanks,

I just dug back through invoices for 2020. If I understand correctly we have only been billed for $1500 on the Wiki project out of the contracted maximum of $5000. Am I correct in understanding the estimate to complete all the outstanding tasks is $7500-$10000 as of early December. So we should ask to carry the $3500 already contracted and request additional funds on top of that.

As for general system contracts we budgeted for 2 and spent 2. Based on the budget concerns for this year we can request 3, but I'll be the first to admit this is the first thing to get cut if we need to reduce. If a specific project comes up with additional funding needs we could request. In terms of the work, this might mean delaying some less critical projects.

Thanks,
--
Alex Mandel
http://wildintellect.com