[SAC] OSGeo SAC Surge Day

Shawn (and any others who can participate),

I propose that this Friday, February 9th be SAC Surge Day. I propose that we collaborate on IRC in #telascience (we don't want logging of somewhat sensitive things, or disrupt normal #osgeo discussion) during the day. If we can get these four items done, we'll have made a great day:

1) True virtual hosts for everything. I have a framework of what to do done for Trac, and I know how I want to layout Subversion's Apache config (a little different than currently -- files stay in the same spot though). We need to identify what we need to respond to and anybody else can just be forwarded to the main website. If there is a list of priorities from the CN days, that would be great. The web of aliases and rewrites we've woven is not sustainable and merely prolongs our misery.

2) Get a real SSL cert. Our CN cert expires on 2/24/07 anyway. I propose that Tyler handle the money side, with Shawn and I handling the implementation (key generation, installation, testing). After up, I will handle making LDAP allow SSL binding with it (a critical component for TelaScience integration).

3) Yank our wildcard DNS. This goes in line with item #1.

4) Migrate subversion to FSFS or do a hand-build of Subversion with a new BDB (looks like we're using a pretty old one ... I propose 4.4 instead of the 4.2 that we're currently using). This might even be priority number one, as our subversion issues are causing a lot of hardship.

I propose that we put tickets in OSGeo's Trac for each of these items, and follow the implications and issues with each in there.

Shawn, will this work with your schedule? We'd need to send out some notification emails to folks to let them know there would be some disruptions on Friday if we do undertake this event.

Howard

Howard Butler wrote:

I propose that this Friday, February 9th be SAC Surge Day. I propose that we collaborate on IRC in #telascience (we don't want logging of somewhat sensitive things, or disrupt normal #osgeo discussion) during the day. If we can get these four items done, we'll have made a great day:

Howard,

I think this is a fantastic idea, and I will commit to be available most of
the day Friday to help out in any way I can. I really appreciate your
willingness to commit the day to this critical work.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush | President OSGeo, http://osgeo.org

On 7-Feb-07, at 10:08 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

I think this is a fantastic idea, and I will commit to be available most of
the day Friday to help out in any way I can. I really appreciate your
willingness to commit the day to this critical work.

Same here, but I'll only likely be available as needed here and there. You shouldn't need me for more than this anyway...

Tyler

Howard

I will be available most of the day ... and nearby the rest ...

John

Howard Butler wrote:

1) True virtual hosts for everything. I have a framework of what to do done for Trac, and I know how I want to layout Subversion's Apache config (a little different than currently -- files stay in the same spot though). We need to identify what we need to respond to and anybody else can just be forwarded to the main website. If there is a list of priorities from the CN days, that would be great. The web of aliases and rewrites we've woven is not sustainable and merely prolongs our misery.

2) Get a real SSL cert. Our CN cert expires on 2/24/07 anyway. I propose that Tyler handle the money side, with Shawn and I handling the implementation (key generation, installation, testing). After up, I will handle making LDAP allow SSL binding with it (a critical component for TelaScience integration).

4) Migrate subversion to FSFS or do a hand-build of Subversion with a new BDB (looks like we're using a pretty old one ... I propose 4.4 instead of the 4.2 that we're currently using). This might even be priority number one, as our subversion issues are causing a lot of hardship.

I propose that we put tickets in OSGeo's Trac for each of these items, and follow the implications and issues with each in there.

Shawn, will this work with your schedule? We'd need to send out some notification emails to folks to let them know there would be some disruptions on Friday if we do undertake this event.

Howard

Great idea Howard. I'm available.

sorry for being quite i was away for a couple days and my laptop went
down, just getting things back on track after rebuilding it.

shawn

Howard Butler wrote:

I propose that this Friday, February 9th be SAC Surge Day. I propose
that we collaborate on IRC in #telascience (we don't want logging of
somewhat sensitive things, or disrupt normal #osgeo discussion) during
the day. If we can get these four items done, we'll have made a great day:

1) True virtual hosts for everything. I have a framework of what to do
done for Trac, and I know how I want to layout Subversion's Apache
config (a little different than currently -- files stay in the same spot
though). We need to identify what we need to respond to and anybody
else can just be forwarded to the main website. If there is a list of
priorities from the CN days, that would be great. The web of aliases
and rewrites we've woven is not sustainable and merely prolongs our misery.

2) Get a real SSL cert. Our CN cert expires on 2/24/07 anyway. I
propose that Tyler handle the money side, with Shawn and I handling the
implementation (key generation, installation, testing). After up, I
will handle making LDAP allow SSL binding with it (a critical component
for TelaScience integration).

4) Migrate subversion to FSFS or do a hand-build of Subversion with a
new BDB (looks like we're using a pretty old one ... I propose 4.4
instead of the 4.2 that we're currently using). This might even be
priority number one, as our subversion issues are causing a lot of
hardship.

I propose that we put tickets in OSGeo's Trac for each of these items,
and follow the implications and issues with each in there.

Shawn, will this work with your schedule? We'd need to send out some
notification emails to folks to let them know there would be some
disruptions on Friday if we do undertake this event.

Howard