[Viscom-dev] Budget stuff...

I have a hard time seeing our budget get approved quick enough for events over the next month or so. For background see this thread:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2007-February/001880.html

For example, I have requested funding for Location Intelligence but think we may need to wait until our fundraising committee gets some more funds coming in. I have some financial review to do for helping the board get a handle on cash flow and I have lots to do for fundraising committee too. You should see me relax a bit on VisCom and focus more on Fundraising over the next couple weeks since funds are a priority holding up many other things.

This means we may very well not be able to develop a full booth at LI. I also don't want to commit to it if we are going to be constrained in any way or takes away the opportunity to have it at other events. Personally, I'd much rather see a strong showing elsewhere if I had to choose.

Until our budget is approved, I personally consider that VisCom has limited funding available. Obviously we need to fix this, but that is the way it seems at this very moment. I'd love to wrong about this though.

I suggest we make any expenditures focused on reusable components for a pop-up booth or some more pop-up banners that we can ship around.

Then perhaps also get the Lands-end store up and running with the new logo so people can buy their own great shirt - or refine cafepress so we can sell and make a modest profit.

Sorry, there are a few points in one note, but wanted to get the discussion going.

Tyler

What happened to all the booth stuff from where 2.0 last year? Or foss4g for that matter? Can't we re-use that? I mean, obviously not the hand-outs, but at least have a table that we can talk at.

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

I have a hard time seeing our budget get approved quick enough for events over the next month or so. For background see this thread:

For example, I have requested funding for Location Intelligence but think we may need to wait until our fundraising committee gets some more funds coming in. I have some financial review to do for helping the board get a handle on cash flow and I have lots to do for fundraising committee too. You should see me relax a bit on VisCom and focus more on Fundraising over the next couple weeks since funds are a priority holding up many other things.

This means we may very well not be able to develop a full booth at LI. I also don't want to commit to it if we are going to be constrained in any way or takes away the opportunity to have it at other events. Personally, I'd much rather see a strong showing elsewhere if I had to choose.

Until our budget is approved, I personally consider that VisCom has limited funding available. Obviously we need to fix this, but that is the way it seems at this very moment. I'd love to wrong about this though.

I suggest we make any expenditures focused on reusable components for a pop-up booth or some more pop-up banners that we can ship around.

Then perhaps also get the Lands-end store up and running with the new logo so people can buy their own great shirt - or refine cafepress so we can sell and make a modest profit.

Sorry, there are a few points in one note, but wanted to get the discussion going.

Tyler

!DSPAM:1003,45e31bab76041702038478!

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

On 26-Feb-07, at 9:37 AM, Chris Holmes wrote:

What happened to all the booth stuff from where 2.0 last year? Or foss4g for that matter? Can't we re-use that? I mean, obviously not the hand-outs, but at least have a table that we can talk at.

We do have some things Chris, you are right. I think the signage may be gone but that we have the black banner and/or table skirt with the old logo on it. And also a pop-up banner. Michael, can you tell us what you have on-hand?

My requests are mainly to develop more of a pop-up booth that can be easily shipped around. And to also cover other costs like sundry bits and pieces required at an event - power, internet, tables, carpet, etc... which can quickly add up. Unfortunately those are not very reusable :[

Tyler

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

We do have some things Chris, you are right. I think the signage may be gone but that we have the black banner and/or table skirt with the old logo on it. And also a pop-up banner. Michael, can you tell us what you have on-hand?

My requests are mainly to develop more of a pop-up booth that can be easily shipped around. And to also cover other costs like sundry bits and pieces required at an event - power, internet, tables, carpet, etc... which can quickly add up. Unfortunately those are not very reusable :[

Do we really need power and internet? Aren't tables provided? We should be able to get in-kind donations for booths at most conferences we go to. No they won't be huge, but they are place to sit where people can find us. Carpet? We need to bring our own carpet?

I admit that a unfunded booth will be a bit more ghetto than some corporate glowing lights and carpeted waterfall. I know we want to have a flashy presence where ever we go, but the black banner identifying us as OSGeo and some people sitting around is far more helpful than nothing. Personally that's all I really want from VisComm, with some flyers when we can afford them, I think the flashy stuff and 'standard' corporate booths are overdone and _far_ from worth the money. If we had paid viscomm staff I'd personally concentrate them mostly on blogging and writing articles for print magazines (and herding others to do so (thanks mpg!). And just have one or two people speaking at most conferences, instead of 30 people with t-shirts and expensive banners at only a couple.

I personally think even a 'pop-up' booth is a bit of an extravagance. TOPP goes to college recruiting fairs all the time and all the corporate types have these extensive booths, but our banner with a nice clear logo and informative hand outs go much, much further for the money. We fed-ex the banner around in a tube for $25, and the banner itself cost maybe $250? And OSGeo already has a banner _and_ a table skirt, which is more than my organizations does.

TOPP could afford to invest in a pop-up booth if it was going to pay off, but they aren't all that much easier to take around, and they usually fall over and don't look all that great. Personally I think having a pop-up display thing gives the impression you're wasting money. We can bank on the fact that open source is all about investing in the code and the projects, and thus cheaper booths can actually enhance our image if we play it right.

Of course if we have the funding to do bigger I say go for it, by all means, I understand the value of it. But to not have any presence just because we can't do a pop-up booth that we ship around seems silly.

C

Tyler

!DSPAM:1003,45e31f4079831429667743!

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

Then I will go ahead and pay to have the OSGeo booth set up at Location
Intelligence. We'll have a table with drape, a pull-up banner,
literature rack, monitor, and internet access. This space will be
branded as OSGeo but will also highlight/mention Autodesk as a
sustaining sponsor of OSGeo.
Thanks,
Nathalie

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Tyler Mitchell
(External)
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:34 AM
To: Visibility Committee Discussion List
Subject: [Viscom-dev] Budget stuff...

I have a hard time seeing our budget get approved quick enough for
events over the next month or so. For background see this thread:

For example, I have requested funding for Location Intelligence but
think we may need to wait until our fundraising committee gets some
more funds coming in. I have some financial review to do for helping
the board get a handle on cash flow and I have lots to do for
fundraising committee too. You should see me relax a bit on VisCom
and focus more on Fundraising over the next couple weeks since funds
are a priority holding up many other things.

This means we may very well not be able to develop a full booth at
LI. I also don't want to commit to it if we are going to be
constrained in any way or takes away the opportunity to have it at
other events. Personally, I'd much rather see a strong showing
elsewhere if I had to choose.

Until our budget is approved, I personally consider that VisCom has
limited funding available. Obviously we need to fix this, but that
is the way it seems at this very moment. I'd love to wrong about
this though.

I suggest we make any expenditures focused on reusable components for
a pop-up booth or some more pop-up banners that we can ship around.

Then perhaps also get the Lands-end store up and running with the new
logo so people can buy their own great shirt - or refine cafepress so
we can sell and make a modest profit.

Sorry, there are a few points in one note, but wanted to get the
discussion going.

Tyler

On 26-Feb-07, at 10:13 AM, Chris Holmes wrote:

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

Do we really need power and internet? Aren't tables provided? We should be able to get in-kind donations for booths at most conferences we go to. No they won't be huge, but they are place to sit where people can find us. Carpet? We need to bring our own carpet?

I admit that a unfunded booth will be a bit more ghetto than some corporate glowing lights and carpeted waterfall. I know we want to have a flashy presence where ever we go, but the black banner identifying us as OSGeo and some people sitting around is far more helpful than nothing. ...

I think you have some fine ideas, but I bring this is up in the context of following up with the VisCom budget and along the vein of the OSGeo budget (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Budget_2006-2007). Both of these budgets were developed for a reason and to set a target for something to aim at - including not just big booths but also support for smaller, less formal efforts. Of course we can change the target but this what's been stuck in my head (for good or bad) ... trying to replicate what we've done in the past.

Of course if we have the funding to do bigger I say go for it, by all means, I understand the value of it. But to not have any presence just because we can't do a pop-up booth that we ship around seems silly.

Fair enough but probably a bit simplistic. I look at it and think that if there isn't enough money to cover recreating a few new booth components then there won't be enough to bail me out what I get hit with other event related costs, or other items we end up needing covered. Might seem silly, but not risks I want to take on after such a gracious donation and with my own time being quite limited.

I am just starting to realise that I am a little nervous about planning this event off the corner of my desk, without any budget, with little time and only a theoretical understanding of the costs - at the same time I have to sign a contract to commit to it all.

I'm not totally ignorant of the cost issues but just need to know that the financial support is there so I can get the job done easily and on time. Regardless of whether there are reusable components, I still see too many risks for not meeting my plan for the event. That, coupled with other pressing workload items, the need to find enough volunteers to set up and manage the booth space, etc.. leaves enough questions for me to see this as a bit more work or high risk than I can (personally!) handle effectively at the moment.

Would anyone else like to own the LI event? It's mainly the booth space and volunteers that really haven't been fully lined up.

Tyler

On 26-Feb-07, at 11:05 AM, Nathalie Mainland wrote:

Then I will go ahead and pay to have the OSGeo booth set up at Location
Intelligence. We'll have a table with drape, a pull-up banner,
literature rack, monitor, and internet access. This space will be
branded as OSGeo but will also highlight/mention Autodesk as a
sustaining sponsor of OSGeo.

Thank you very much Nathalie - this will give us a well needed boost.
Terry - if you have any questions as you work on this please feel free to contact us, ie for proofing material, etc.

Tyler

Michael, can you tell us what you have on-hand?

I have two boxes here -- one small regular one, and one long narrow one
-- sent to me from Autodesk a few months ago. I'll unpack them tomorrow
and see what's inside...

-mpg

[mailto:viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of
Tyler Mitchell
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Viscom-dev] Budget stuff...

> What happened to all the booth stuff from where 2.0 last year? Or
> foss4g for that matter? Can't we re-use that? I mean, obviously
> not the hand-outs, but at least have a table that we can talk at.

We do have some things Chris, you are right. I think the
signage may
be gone but that we have the black banner and/or table skirt
with the
old logo on it. And also a pop-up banner. Michael, can you tell us
what you have on-hand?

My requests are mainly to develop more of a pop-up booth that can be
easily shipped around. And to also cover other costs like sundry
bits and pieces required at an event - power, internet, tables,
carpet, etc... which can quickly add up. Unfortunately those
are not
very reusable :[

Tyler

I just opened the boxes... We have one black sheet with logo, 86x152 --
might be a table drape, I think. We also have one of those
rectract-o-matic banner dealies (by expandmedia.com), black background
with our logo -- size is about (my height) x (my width).

If someone has links to the Where 2.0 pictures, I could show you :slight_smile:

-mpg

Michael P. Gerlek
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:08 PM
Subject: RE: [Viscom-dev] Budget stuff...

> Michael, can you tell us what you have on-hand?

I have two boxes here -- one small regular one, and one long
narrow one
-- sent to me from Autodesk a few months ago. I'll unpack
them tomorrow
and see what's inside...

-mpg

> -----Original Message-----
> From: viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org
> [mailto:viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of
> Tyler Mitchell
> Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:47 AM
> To: Visibility Committee Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Viscom-dev] Budget stuff...
>
> On 26-Feb-07, at 9:37 AM, Chris Holmes wrote:
>
> > What happened to all the booth stuff from where 2.0 last
year? Or
> > foss4g for that matter? Can't we re-use that? I mean,
obviously
> > not the hand-outs, but at least have a table that we can talk at.
>
> We do have some things Chris, you are right. I think the
> signage may
> be gone but that we have the black banner and/or table skirt
> with the
> old logo on it. And also a pop-up banner. Michael, can
you tell us
> what you have on-hand?
>
> My requests are mainly to develop more of a pop-up booth
that can be
> easily shipped around. And to also cover other costs like sundry
> bits and pieces required at an event - power, internet, tables,
> carpet, etc... which can quickly add up. Unfortunately those
> are not
> very reusable :[
>
> Tyler
> _______________________________________________
> Viscom-dev mailing list
> Viscom-dev@lists.osgeo.org
> http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/viscom-dev
>

Assuming you aren't heading to Where 2.0, I can easily pick those up from you and bring them with me (assuming they travel nicely on a plane)

-Josh

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

I just opened the boxes... We have one black sheet with logo, 86x152 --

-mpg

That's a plan -- we can do the handoff at the COGUS gig?

-mpg

[mailto:viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Josh Livni
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:52 PM

Assuming you aren't heading to Where 2.0, I can easily pick those up
from you and bring them with me (assuming they travel nicely
on a plane)

-Josh

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> I just opened the boxes... We have one black sheet with
logo, 86x152 --
> might be a table drape, I think. We also have one of those
> rectract-o-matic banner dealies (by expandmedia.com), black
background
> with our logo -- size is about (my height) x (my width).
>
> If someone has links to the Where 2.0 pictures, I could show you :slight_smile:
>
> -mpg
>
>
>
>

Hi there,
I'm having the table drape and pop-up banner updated for Location
Intelligence and Where 2.0. They'll have the new OSGeo logo and the
banner will have updated project and sponsor info. We can also reuse
these new materials at OSCON and FOSS4G.
Nathalie

from you and bring them with me (assuming they travel nicely on a plane)

-Josh

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

I just opened the boxes... We have one black sheet with logo, 86x152

--

-mpg

You bet.

-Josh

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

That's a plan -- we can do the handoff at the COGUS gig?

-mpg

From: viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org [mailto:viscom-dev-bounces@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Josh Livni

Assuming you aren't heading to Where 2.0, I can easily pick those up from you and bring them with me (assuming they travel nicely on a plane)

-Josh

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

I just opened the boxes... We have one black sheet with

logo, 86x152 --

rectract-o-matic banner dealies (by expandmedia.com), black

background

-mpg

Ah -- then I guess get stuck with these old ones...

Maybe I'll put 'em up for the CUGOS event :slight_smile:

-mpg

Nathalie Mainland
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:54 PM
Subject: RE: [Viscom-dev] Budget stuff...

Hi there,
I'm having the table drape and pop-up banner updated for Location
Intelligence and Where 2.0. They'll have the new OSGeo logo and the
banner will have updated project and sponsor info. We can also reuse
these new materials at OSCON and FOSS4G.
Nathalie

from you and bring them with me (assuming they travel nicely
on a plane)

-Josh

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> I just opened the boxes... We have one black sheet with
logo, 86x152
--
> might be a table drape, I think. We also have one of those
> rectract-o-matic banner dealies (by expandmedia.com), black
background
> with our logo -- size is about (my height) x (my width).
>
> If someone has links to the Where 2.0 pictures, I could show you :slight_smile:
>
> -mpg
>
>
>
>

On 1-Mar-07, at 4:59 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

Ah -- then I guess get stuck with these old ones...

Maybe I'll put 'em up for the CUGOS event :slight_smile:

Think of them as another copy. I think they can still be useful since the pop-up ships so easily.