Logos, Round II

See attached from John Close.

He reminds me that "Remember, we will not be able to please everyone..."
and that at this point we need to give him final instructions. I'm
personally happy with the "revised proposal" (although not the tag line;
I don't like his suggestion or our current one).

Do people like the New Green? (Being a bit colorblind, I will abstain
from any color votes...)

I *really* like the "full color" and "reversed" logos on the last page.

Please send all comments to the list ASAP, so we can harmonize and
continue our push on this.

-mpg

OSgeo_Revised_Pres_Final.pdf (759 KB)

I'm pretty sure that the tagline is fixed in stone. Didn't we run a vote on it?

I like the new graphic, though the old logo seems to degrade to smaller sizes better. Probably because of the gradient fill.

I didn't like the new green at all at first look. Too grassy; too much yellow. I think it's growing on me though.

I do like the full colour version, but think that we need to standardise on white for the word OSGeo on a black background. I like the one colour version better, but I think it's because of this. Also possibly because it's "whiter", bringing the overall colour impression very close to our original logo (that I've become used to).

The reversed one is nice too, but in this case, I think that we should lose the shaded effect on the compass spokes. They don't show up, and the effect is a compass with wonky spokes.

Jason

Sent: Mon 2006-10-30 5:15 PM
To: dev@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org
Subject: [VisCom] Logos, Round II

from any color votes...)

-mpg

Jason Birch wrote:

Yes we did:
https://mail.osgeo.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=discuss&msgNo=615

I like the new graphic, though the old logo seems to degrade to smaller sizes better. Probably because of the gradient fill.
I didn't like the new green at all at first look. Too grassy; too much yellow. I think it's growing on me though.

Same to me, but I don't like green anyway. Why not use 0,255,0 on 0,0,0 and get on with it...

I do like the full colour version, but think that we need to standardise on white for the word OSGeo on a black background. I like the one colour version better, but I think it's because of this. Also possibly because it's "whiter", bringing the overall colour impression very close to our original logo (that I've become used to).
The reversed one is nice too, but in this case, I think that we should lose the shaded effect on the compass spokes. They don't show up, and the effect is a compass with wonky spokes.
Jason

I feel the need to be more flexible on the part that disallows to experiment with the logo. http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/TrademarkGuidelines#Our_Trademarks

Spelling it the other way round we (Arnulf@CCGIS) cannot use any of our color laser printers to print out flyers because the colors look different on each of them. Not just a little but a lot, it is amazing. Hail technology! Legally speaking I am already breaking the glass by only printing flyers (changing colors = not allowed). I am not meaning to open a discussion, but it the end nothing has an end, so we should also consider the logo to be a process.

Mind me, this does not mean that I want to dilute the brand, etc. We need it, it needs to be stable and coherent and all. As soon as the link buttons are available we will put them on every related project page.

I am happy with this milestone. +1

Regards, Arnulf.

Sent: Mon 2006-10-30 5:15 PM

from any color votes...)

-mpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org

[responding to Jason and Arnulf, just because I'm lazy]

Well, yes -- but no fears, I'm not opening up the tag line question.. but I did mention to John C that we weren't overwhelmingly happy with the tag line we had, and he offered to ponder alternatives for us. That said, we have agreed already within VisCom that as it seems the current tagline is rarely being used, we're likely to be using a form of the logo w/o any tagline at all.

I think this extremist would offend the sensibilities of any graphic designer. It's probably the equivalent of just using "Times" as our font. :slight_smile: That said, I'm open to more comments and opinions...

I feel the need to be more flexible on the part that disallows to experiment with the logo.

Yup, again no fears. The wiki page represents a stake in the ground to prevent arbitrary hacking of our brand by just anyone. VisCom has carefully reserved the right to do whatever we want as we see fit, and so I anticipate lots of "approved" riffs on the logo for legit purposes.

I do like the full colour version, but think that we need to standardise on white for
the word OSGeo on a black background. I like the one colour version better, but I
think it's because of this. Also possibly because it's "whiter", bringing the overall
colour impression very close to our original logo (that I've become used to).

For many/most common usages, we can't have a black background logo be the default -- if that is what you're suggesting? Sorry, I didn't quite follow your comments...

The reversed one is nice too, but in this case, I think that we should lose the
shaded effect on the compass spokes. They don't show up, and the effect is a
compass with wonky spokes.

Hmm, lemme look again at that...

we cannot use any of our color laser printers to print out flyers because the colors
look different on each of them.

I will add a "good faith" clause to the branding guidelines. While you may not hack the colors in Photoshop, but you can't be held responsible for the actions of rogue printers.

I am happy with this milestone. +1

Umm, does that mean you're good with the "revised proposal" as is, despite the 0,0xFF,0 request, or...?

-mpg

Sorry guys, I'm under water for the next day or so. I took a quick peek at this but won't be able to follow the whole thread at the moment. Apologies if this has already been discussed...

1- I really like the "reversed" example, last page, best. With a few minor tweaks.

2- The 'limier' green sure makes the previous one look blue. My first reaction to the new green was not good. Having them side by side probably isn't helping my opinion, perhaps this will work though. Takes some time to grow on me I think.

3- I see some talk about the tagline. I agree that we have a version available with it, but in many cases won't use it. Obviously the ".. Geo Network" won't work :slight_smile:

4- Sans font for tagline is much improved.

5- I am less and less liking the color on black and hope we can move to a white on green, or just green on white.

My two bits worth, hope it's helpful.

+1 on doing up some pins, Jason.

Tyler

----- Original Message -----
Date: Monday, October 30, 2006 5:15 pm

He reminds me that "Remember, we will not be able to please
everyone..."and that at this point we need to give him final
instructions. I'm
personally happy with the "revised proposal" (although not the tag
line;I don't like his suggestion or our current one).

from any color votes...)

I *really* like the "full color" and "reversed" logos on the last
page.

-mpg

OK,

I've done up some pins for myself at AU at CafePress, and uploaded the image I used along with an image I was playing around with for the clock here:

https://visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=102

Jason

Sent: Tue 2006-10-31 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [VisCom] Logos, Round II

Sorry guys, I'm under water for the next day or so. I took a quick peek at this but won't be able to follow the whole thread at the moment. Apologies if this has already been discussed...

1- I really like the "reversed" example, last page, best. With a few minor tweaks.

2- The 'limier' green sure makes the previous one look blue. My first reaction to the new green was not good. Having them side by side probably isn't helping my opinion, perhaps this will work though. Takes some time to grow on me I think.

3- I see some talk about the tagline. I agree that we have a version available with it, but in many cases won't use it. Obviously the ".. Geo Network" won't work :slight_smile:

5- I am less and less liking the color on black and hope we can move to a white on green, or just green on white.

Tyler

everyone..."and that at this point we need to give him final
instructions. I'm
personally happy with the "revised proposal" (although not the tag
line;I don't like his suggestion or our current one).

from any color votes...)

I *really* like the "full color" and "reversed" logos on the last
page.

-mpg

I don’t much like the clock design, but the other one is great.

You appear to be using a different green than the one in John’s latest revisions, I think? I do like yours better – do you know what colors are you using? Did you change the shading/reflections or anything at all, or just the colors themselves?

-mpg

Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 12:57 AM
Subject: RE: [VisCom] Logos, Round II

OK,

I’ve done up some pins for myself at AU at CafePress, and uploaded the image I used along with an image I was playing around with for the clock here:

Jason

Sorry guys, I’m under water for the next day or so. I took a quick peek at this but won’t be able to follow the whole thread at the moment. Apologies if this has already been discussed…

1- I really like the “reversed” example, last page, best. With a few minor tweaks.

2- The ‘limier’ green sure makes the previous one look blue. My first reaction to the new green was not good. Having them side by side probably isn’t helping my opinion, perhaps this will work though. Takes some time to grow on me I think.

3- I see some talk about the tagline. I agree that we have a version available with it, but in many cases won’t use it. Obviously the “… Geo Network” won’t work :slight_smile:

My two bits worth, hope it’s helpful.

Tyler

everyone…"and that at this point we need to give him final
instructions. I’m
personally happy with the “revised proposal” (although not the tag
line;I don’t like his suggestion or our current one).

from any color votes…)

I really like the “full color” and “reversed” logos on the last
page.

-mpg

I didn't order the clock, was just playing around :slight_smile:

I didn't change any of the elements. My PDF->PDF translation to get a good high-res raster image of the logo messed up the colours; probably because I was using a free pdf writer to print from Acrobat Reader. I started with the second image on the alternate backgrounds page, had to do a level balance to get back to pure black in the background, and then I played with the saturation to get it to look less grassy. I don't have pantone colours, etc (sorry).

Jason

Sent: Wed 2006-11-01 5:44 PM

I don't much like the clock design, but the other one is great.

You appear to be using a different green than the one in John's latest revisions, I think? I do like yours better -- do you know what colors are you using? Did you change the shading/reflections or anything at all, or just the colors themselves?

-mpg

OK,

I've done up some pins for myself at AU at CafePress, and uploaded the image I used along with an image I was playing around with for the clock here:

Jason

Tyler

> See attached from John Close.
  >
  > He reminds me that "Remember, we will not be able to please
  > everyone..."and that at this point we need to give him final
  > instructions. I'm
  > personally happy with the "revised proposal" (although not the tag
  > line;I don't like his suggestion or our current one).
  >
  > Do people like the New Green? (Being a bit colorblind, I will abstain
  > from any color votes...)
  >
  > I *really* like the "full color" and "reversed" logos on the last
  > page.
  >
  > Please send all comments to the list ASAP, so we can harmonize and
  > continue our push on this.
  >
  > -mpg
  >

Mmm, okay, then the (informal) motion on the floor is to go with either Arnulf’'s (0,255,0) or John’s current set of colors.

-mpg

Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:36 PM

I didn’t order the clock, was just playing around :slight_smile:

I didn’t change any of the elements. My PDF->PDF translation to get a good high-res raster image of the logo messed up the colours; probably because I was using a free pdf writer to print from Acrobat Reader. I started with the second image on the alternate backgrounds page, had to do a level balance to get back to pure black in the background, and then I played with the saturation to get it to look less grassy. I don’t have pantone colours, etc (sorry).

Jason

Sent: Wed 2006-11-01 5:44 PM

I don’t much like the clock design, but the other one is great.

You appear to be using a different green than the one in John’s latest revisions, I think? I do like yours better – do you know what colors are you using? Did you change the shading/reflections or anything at all, or just the colors themselves?

-mpg

OK,

I’ve done up some pins for myself at AU at CafePress, and uploaded the image I used along with an image I was playing around with for the clock here:

Jason

Sorry guys, I’m under water for the next day or so. I took a quick peek at this but won’t be able to follow the whole thread at the moment. Apologies if this has already been discussed…

1- I really like the “reversed” example, last page, best. With a few minor tweaks.

2- The ‘limier’ green sure makes the previous one look blue. My first reaction to the new green was not good. Having them side by side probably isn’t helping my opinion, perhaps this will work though. Takes some time to grow on me I think.

3- I see some talk about the tagline. I agree that we have a version available with it, but in many cases won’t use it. Obviously the “… Geo Network” won’t work :slight_smile:

My two bits worth, hope it’s helpful.

Tyler

everyone…"and that at this point we need to give him final
instructions. I’m
personally happy with the “revised proposal” (although not the tag
line;I don’t like his suggestion or our current one).

from any color votes…)

I really like the “full color” and “reversed” logos on the last
page.

-mpg

I was playing with the two-colour image, which I like better anyway... Do we need/want the full colour version? I think we could get away with the two colour, and the inverse.

I agree with the rest of your points, but I still don't like the second colour (unfortunately, the desaturated version is perfect) :slight_smile: Regardless, I'd rather have that than full-value RGB green (which I think is out-of-gamut for CMYK?)

Jason

Sent: Wed 2006-11-01 6:39 PM

Mmm, okay, then the (informal) motion on the floor is to go with either Arnulf''s (0,255,0) or John's current set of colors.

-mpg